WHat to expect after 15 yrs?

Former Member
Former Member
It has been 15 yrs since I last competed seriously and I am getting ready to start again this fall. I am approximately 80lbs heavier, about half muscle and half fat. I am curious to hear from others who had similar layoff's and what they experienced in their come backs. I plan on using my first season just getting myself back in shape. I would like to lose approximately 30 lbs and hope to attend my first meet around Feb or March 05. I am anxious and nervous at the same time. Look forward to the input. Thanks, Greg
Parents
  • This kind of thread easily triggers interesting stories of "...back when I started swimming again." I was out of the water for 16 years, smoking (a pipe, not cigs), probably drinking too much, almost 20# overweight. My mother had clipped the article in the paper announcing the formation of Masters Swimming back in the '70's. But, it still took me a few years to return. I thought that I didn't want to ever compete again. And, once I started doing laps it took a swim companion a lot of convincing to get me to a meet. That was 22 years ago. I was 5 seconds off my best high school time in the 100 Fly, just barely over a minute! Boy, was I hooked! What a rush to the head! Based on my lifestyle before and where it was going, I truly believe that returning to swimming probably saved my life. My mother, before she died, was able to see me (and my brother too!) swim competitively again many times. It always made her happy. And me. Now coaching I have lots of stories of people returning to swimming after a long layoff. We have one guy in his 70's who had competed in high school but not again until just a couple years ago! It's turned his life around too! So, don't be afraid of the future. It's ready to embrace you. ***
  • This kind of thread easily triggers interesting stories of "...back when I started swimming again." I was out of the water for 16 years, smoking (a pipe, not cigs), probably drinking too much, almost 20# overweight. My mother had clipped the article in the paper announcing the formation of Masters Swimming back in the '70's. But, it still took me a few years to return. I thought that I didn't want to ever compete again. And, once I started doing laps it took a swim companion a lot of convincing to get me to a meet. That was 22 years ago. I was 5 seconds off my best high school time in the 100 Fly, just barely over a minute! Boy, was I hooked! What a rush to the head! Based on my lifestyle before and where it was going, I truly believe that returning to swimming probably saved my life. My mother, before she died, was able to see me (and my brother too!) swim competitively again many times. It always made her happy. And me. Now coaching I have lots of stories of people returning to swimming after a long layoff. We have one guy in his 70's who had competed in high school but not again until just a couple years ago! It's turned his life around too! So, don't be afraid of the future. It's ready to embrace you. ***
Children
No Data