WHat to expect after 15 yrs?

Former Member
Former Member
It has been 15 yrs since I last competed seriously and I am getting ready to start again this fall. I am approximately 80lbs heavier, about half muscle and half fat. I am curious to hear from others who had similar layoff's and what they experienced in their come backs. I plan on using my first season just getting myself back in shape. I would like to lose approximately 30 lbs and hope to attend my first meet around Feb or March 05. I am anxious and nervous at the same time. Look forward to the input. Thanks, Greg
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 20 years ago
    Greg, MANY of us have been there and some of us are there now. 1st, congratulations on getting back in the pool! That's probably the hardest step to take. If you didn't compete in Masters before, know this that the Masters community is inclusive of all no matter where they are in their journey. Even at competition, you'll see the entire spectrum of people in/out of shape, beginners/advanced competitors, etc. I competed in 2002 in Masters. During the past year and half with starting a new job, lots of travel, little exercise, poor eating, etc., I put on 40 pounds. Quite upsetting, but of course I know exactly how it all happened. A few months ago I started back into regular swim workouts and still with 30 of those extra pounds I got on my Speedo, got on the blocks, and got back into competition. I was very apprehensive but deep inside I knew if I got myself back on the blocks sooner rather than later, no matter how I swam, it would motivate me to push forward. And, it has. For me, I've focused on slowly (again, slowly) increasing my swim workouts and trying my best to eat healthy balanced foods. Now I'm starting to work in some light weight training again. I emphasize slow and methodical progress as my way to do it. I don't deprive myself of food and ensure I take in enough calories and carbs to have the energy to get in decent swim workouts. Slowly pounds are coming off and I'm feeling more in shape. I'm lucky to have other Masters swimmers in my world that support and encourage each other. Someone on the forum once said "it's about the journey" that matters. It truly is. We all make progress, sometimes stumble back a few steps, but then need to just get up and continue moving forward. GOOD LUCK! See you on the blocks some day.... Dan
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 20 years ago
    Greg, MANY of us have been there and some of us are there now. 1st, congratulations on getting back in the pool! That's probably the hardest step to take. If you didn't compete in Masters before, know this that the Masters community is inclusive of all no matter where they are in their journey. Even at competition, you'll see the entire spectrum of people in/out of shape, beginners/advanced competitors, etc. I competed in 2002 in Masters. During the past year and half with starting a new job, lots of travel, little exercise, poor eating, etc., I put on 40 pounds. Quite upsetting, but of course I know exactly how it all happened. A few months ago I started back into regular swim workouts and still with 30 of those extra pounds I got on my Speedo, got on the blocks, and got back into competition. I was very apprehensive but deep inside I knew if I got myself back on the blocks sooner rather than later, no matter how I swam, it would motivate me to push forward. And, it has. For me, I've focused on slowly (again, slowly) increasing my swim workouts and trying my best to eat healthy balanced foods. Now I'm starting to work in some light weight training again. I emphasize slow and methodical progress as my way to do it. I don't deprive myself of food and ensure I take in enough calories and carbs to have the energy to get in decent swim workouts. Slowly pounds are coming off and I'm feeling more in shape. I'm lucky to have other Masters swimmers in my world that support and encourage each other. Someone on the forum once said "it's about the journey" that matters. It truly is. We all make progress, sometimes stumble back a few steps, but then need to just get up and continue moving forward. GOOD LUCK! See you on the blocks some day.... Dan
Children
No Data