Hypoglycemia?

Former Member
Former Member
I was wondering if any of the swimmers on this board has chronic hypoglycemia. How does it affect your swimming? I was diagnosed with the condition last year after living with the symptoms my whole life (I can remember feeling weak and dizzy frequently in elementary school.) I have completely eliminated sugar and refined carbohydrates from my diet, but exersize can still be a problem. Swimming seems to be easier on me, though. Any thoughts?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    Yes, I have been to an endocrinologist. However, the Naturopathic Dr. was much more helpful. She advised me to take supplements that help with hypoglycemia. I've only been on them a week, and I can already tell the difference! It's amazing what good nutrition can do for the body. As far as testing goes, I took the GTT (glucose tolerance test) and it was confirmed that I am hypoglycemic. Which supplements do you take? Chromium? I also think i have it. I swam 500m last nite, ate before and after but still felt fatigued, faint, lack of focus, and hyper at same time from swim. It wasn't til i ate choc icecream at 11 that i felt normal again. I'd already had small baked potato with cheese, butter, salmon fillet and half a small watermelon prior. Plus banana and dark choc just before i swam :S I just ordered a glucose metre, had one when younger but never tested after exercise. How much do i need to eat to stop this happening??
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 6 years ago
    Yes, I have been to an endocrinologist. However, the Naturopathic Dr. was much more helpful. She advised me to take supplements that help with hypoglycemia. I've only been on them a week, and I can already tell the difference! It's amazing what good nutrition can do for the body. As far as testing goes, I took the GTT (glucose tolerance test) and it was confirmed that I am hypoglycemic. Which supplements do you take? Chromium? I also think i have it. I swam 500m last nite, ate before and after but still felt fatigued, faint, lack of focus, and hyper at same time from swim. It wasn't til i ate choc icecream at 11 that i felt normal again. I'd already had small baked potato with cheese, butter, salmon fillet and half a small watermelon prior. Plus banana and dark choc just before i swam :S I just ordered a glucose metre, had one when younger but never tested after exercise. How much do i need to eat to stop this happening??
Children
No Data