Hypoglycemia?

Former Member
Former Member
I was wondering if any of the swimmers on this board has chronic hypoglycemia. How does it affect your swimming? I was diagnosed with the condition last year after living with the symptoms my whole life (I can remember feeling weak and dizzy frequently in elementary school.) I have completely eliminated sugar and refined carbohydrates from my diet, but exersize can still be a problem. Swimming seems to be easier on me, though. Any thoughts?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 20 years ago
    I was diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia a few years ago. My pancreas produces too much insulin in reaction to foods I eat. The faster they turn to blood glucose the sharper the reaction. I have been able to manage it with diet. I recently consulted a registered dietician for help with what to eat before my morning swim (or other workout) and she suggested egg or egg whites and whole wheat toast or light string cheese and a piece of fruit. The egg whites and toast seems to work best and I eat them at least 30 mins (usually more like 40) before hitting the water. It takes me 30 just to drive to the pool so that works well for me. As far as it affecting my swimming? I don't think it does as long as I manage it. Otherwise it makes me tired and fatigued (if not worse) but that would be swimming or not. :)
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 20 years ago
    I was diagnosed with reactive hypoglycemia a few years ago. My pancreas produces too much insulin in reaction to foods I eat. The faster they turn to blood glucose the sharper the reaction. I have been able to manage it with diet. I recently consulted a registered dietician for help with what to eat before my morning swim (or other workout) and she suggested egg or egg whites and whole wheat toast or light string cheese and a piece of fruit. The egg whites and toast seems to work best and I eat them at least 30 mins (usually more like 40) before hitting the water. It takes me 30 just to drive to the pool so that works well for me. As far as it affecting my swimming? I don't think it does as long as I manage it. Otherwise it makes me tired and fatigued (if not worse) but that would be swimming or not. :)
Children
No Data