Hypoglycemia?

Former Member
Former Member
I was wondering if any of the swimmers on this board has chronic hypoglycemia. How does it affect your swimming? I was diagnosed with the condition last year after living with the symptoms my whole life (I can remember feeling weak and dizzy frequently in elementary school.) I have completely eliminated sugar and refined carbohydrates from my diet, but exersize can still be a problem. Swimming seems to be easier on me, though. Any thoughts?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 20 years ago
    Originally posted by Gab I just want to clarify that there is a major difference between low blood sugar, the symptom (as a result of improper diet and or diabetes) and chronic hyperinsulinism. As Conniekat8 said, some people produce too much insulin when they consume carbohydrates, causing their blood sugar to drop quickly and drastically. Not eating often enough will also leave me feeling shaky, nervous and irritable (I usually eat every three hours.) Which is exactly what happens to me. My liver produces too much insulin when I eat too many carbs. I also have to eat a little bit every few hours, and it has to be a mix of carbs an protein, can't be just one or just the other. The only time I can get away with pure carbs is before or during exercise, when they get used up very quickly. If I eat a lot of carbs in the evening, and go to sleep, I am sure to wake up with a major case of hypo. I've always had it (since I was a little kid), and used to mistake it for hunger, and get into over-eating... But since then, I learned how to regulate what I eat, and noe it doesn't happen very often. In some cases Hypoglychemia is a precursor to diabetis, in others it is not.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 20 years ago
    Originally posted by Gab I just want to clarify that there is a major difference between low blood sugar, the symptom (as a result of improper diet and or diabetes) and chronic hyperinsulinism. As Conniekat8 said, some people produce too much insulin when they consume carbohydrates, causing their blood sugar to drop quickly and drastically. Not eating often enough will also leave me feeling shaky, nervous and irritable (I usually eat every three hours.) Which is exactly what happens to me. My liver produces too much insulin when I eat too many carbs. I also have to eat a little bit every few hours, and it has to be a mix of carbs an protein, can't be just one or just the other. The only time I can get away with pure carbs is before or during exercise, when they get used up very quickly. If I eat a lot of carbs in the evening, and go to sleep, I am sure to wake up with a major case of hypo. I've always had it (since I was a little kid), and used to mistake it for hunger, and get into over-eating... But since then, I learned how to regulate what I eat, and noe it doesn't happen very often. In some cases Hypoglychemia is a precursor to diabetis, in others it is not.
Children
No Data