Hypoglycemia?

Former Member
Former Member
I was wondering if any of the swimmers on this board has chronic hypoglycemia. How does it affect your swimming? I was diagnosed with the condition last year after living with the symptoms my whole life (I can remember feeling weak and dizzy frequently in elementary school.) I have completely eliminated sugar and refined carbohydrates from my diet, but exersize can still be a problem. Swimming seems to be easier on me, though. Any thoughts?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 20 years ago
    Hypoglycemia is a symptom of Diabetes. I just want to clarify that there is a major difference between low blood sugar, the symptom (as a result of improper diet and or diabetes) and chronic hyperinsulinism. As Conniekat8 said, some people produce too much insulin when they consume carbohydrates, causing their blood sugar to drop quickly and drastically. Not eating often enough will also leave me feeling shaky, nervous and irritable (I usually eat every three hours.) Have you been to an endocrinologist? Have you been tested for diabetes? How old are you? Yes, I have been to an endocrinologist. However, the Naturopathic Dr. was much more helpful. She advised me to take supplements that help with hypoglycemia. I've only been on them a week, and I can already tell the difference! It's amazing what good nutrition can do for the body. As far as testing goes, I took the GTT (glucose tolerance test) and it was confirmed that I am hypoglycemic. However I always knew that I had a problem with carbohydrates, and I had changed my eating habits accordingly even before I tested. I am 16. Thirdly, what do you eat before you swim? All my meals consist of protein and a complex carbohydrate, such as vegetables, brown rice, or a small piece of fruit. I'm not very far along in my training, so what I've always eaten works out fine. I think I would react to gatorade. Do you have a glucometer? Yes, I do, but I haven't been using it lately. I need to get some more strips!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 20 years ago
    Hypoglycemia is a symptom of Diabetes. I just want to clarify that there is a major difference between low blood sugar, the symptom (as a result of improper diet and or diabetes) and chronic hyperinsulinism. As Conniekat8 said, some people produce too much insulin when they consume carbohydrates, causing their blood sugar to drop quickly and drastically. Not eating often enough will also leave me feeling shaky, nervous and irritable (I usually eat every three hours.) Have you been to an endocrinologist? Have you been tested for diabetes? How old are you? Yes, I have been to an endocrinologist. However, the Naturopathic Dr. was much more helpful. She advised me to take supplements that help with hypoglycemia. I've only been on them a week, and I can already tell the difference! It's amazing what good nutrition can do for the body. As far as testing goes, I took the GTT (glucose tolerance test) and it was confirmed that I am hypoglycemic. However I always knew that I had a problem with carbohydrates, and I had changed my eating habits accordingly even before I tested. I am 16. Thirdly, what do you eat before you swim? All my meals consist of protein and a complex carbohydrate, such as vegetables, brown rice, or a small piece of fruit. I'm not very far along in my training, so what I've always eaten works out fine. I think I would react to gatorade. Do you have a glucometer? Yes, I do, but I haven't been using it lately. I need to get some more strips!
Children
No Data