Hypoglycemia?

Former Member
Former Member
I was wondering if any of the swimmers on this board has chronic hypoglycemia. How does it affect your swimming? I was diagnosed with the condition last year after living with the symptoms my whole life (I can remember feeling weak and dizzy frequently in elementary school.) I have completely eliminated sugar and refined carbohydrates from my diet, but exersize can still be a problem. Swimming seems to be easier on me, though. Any thoughts?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 20 years ago
    Conniekat8, Yes it could be the 'opposite' of diabetes. In that 'diabetes' is the inability to use carbohydrates efficiently. In Type 1 diabetics(10% of the diabetic population) no insulin is produced. During the beginning phase of this autoimmune attacking disease, there is a honeymoon period where symptoms are not as severe.( Both hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia will present) Type 1 diabetics are mostly children, however adults can also develop this. Type 1 diabetics tend to have a 'normal' body build and can be active. In type 2, they have insulin resistance. They tend to be overweight (Waist circumference exceeds the 'normal recommended ratio') So what does this mean? All our cells require fuel. It comes primarily from carbohydrates. Each cell requires insulin in order that the fuel may pass into each cell. Think of a cell like a locked door. Type 1 have no keys, so the fuel has difficulty getting into the cells. Type 2 have lots of keys, only the keys are like putty and won't open the lock. Hypoglycemia is a symptom of Diabetes. Diabetes is a major health concern. It is on the Rise. Thousands of people have Diabetes and don't know this. It is treatable and you can still live a perfectly normal life with this disease. Be thankfull if you have the diagnosis of hypoglycemia. But first get checked out so you know that is what it is. "To motivate, add water" "fear is a reaction, courage is a decision"
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 20 years ago
    Conniekat8, Yes it could be the 'opposite' of diabetes. In that 'diabetes' is the inability to use carbohydrates efficiently. In Type 1 diabetics(10% of the diabetic population) no insulin is produced. During the beginning phase of this autoimmune attacking disease, there is a honeymoon period where symptoms are not as severe.( Both hypoglycemia and hyperglycemia will present) Type 1 diabetics are mostly children, however adults can also develop this. Type 1 diabetics tend to have a 'normal' body build and can be active. In type 2, they have insulin resistance. They tend to be overweight (Waist circumference exceeds the 'normal recommended ratio') So what does this mean? All our cells require fuel. It comes primarily from carbohydrates. Each cell requires insulin in order that the fuel may pass into each cell. Think of a cell like a locked door. Type 1 have no keys, so the fuel has difficulty getting into the cells. Type 2 have lots of keys, only the keys are like putty and won't open the lock. Hypoglycemia is a symptom of Diabetes. Diabetes is a major health concern. It is on the Rise. Thousands of people have Diabetes and don't know this. It is treatable and you can still live a perfectly normal life with this disease. Be thankfull if you have the diagnosis of hypoglycemia. But first get checked out so you know that is what it is. "To motivate, add water" "fear is a reaction, courage is a decision"
Children
No Data