Hypoglycemia?

Former Member
Former Member
I was wondering if any of the swimmers on this board has chronic hypoglycemia. How does it affect your swimming? I was diagnosed with the condition last year after living with the symptoms my whole life (I can remember feeling weak and dizzy frequently in elementary school.) I have completely eliminated sugar and refined carbohydrates from my diet, but exersize can still be a problem. Swimming seems to be easier on me, though. Any thoughts?
Parents
  • I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia as a teenager. What works for me is to make sure I balance any carbs I eat with a protein. The protein helps my blood sugar stay steadier because it does not cause the spike like a simple carbohydrate (sugar, white bread, bagels etc). My favorite pre practice or pre race snack is peanut butter on whole wheat toast! I have found that if I don't eat protein before a workout I get a bad case of "the shakes" and feel awful. Try it. I hope it works for you!
  • I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia as a teenager. What works for me is to make sure I balance any carbs I eat with a protein. The protein helps my blood sugar stay steadier because it does not cause the spike like a simple carbohydrate (sugar, white bread, bagels etc). My favorite pre practice or pre race snack is peanut butter on whole wheat toast! I have found that if I don't eat protein before a workout I get a bad case of "the shakes" and feel awful. Try it. I hope it works for you!
Children
No Data