Shoulder Injury - Labrum Tear

I just got back from my last visit with my sports medicine doctor and he has recommeded orthoscopic surgery on my shoulder. After at least nine months of xray's, an mri, a cortizone shot, and a great rehab program the pain and catching in my shoulder just won't go away. After 30+ years of swimming and never having an injury that required surgery, I'm a little reluctant go under the knife. I wondering if any of you can give me some advice regarding labrum tear surgery, rehab, and recovery time. I am having a second opinion..... but would like to have more.. Thanks everyone.. Dennis
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    I have been a daily swimmer for ten years. Before that I ran and, before that it was basketball. I'm 64 and have had on and off shoulder problems in my right (dominant) arm ever since I can remember. I began to have sleep related issues a year or so ago and finally decided to have it looked at. The MRI revealed a labrum tear and the pod felt surgery was the only way to go. I shattered my left leg in 8th grade and broke my back (T-6 compression fracture) in 75. I know I am a very lucky person to be able to have been this active and want to keep it up. I scheduled the surgery, came home and researched the recovery and decided to put it off. This was all this week and now, after more research, I'm more and more convinced I'm going to have to have it. These discussions are great but the common thread is that there is no common thread. we'll alkl have to decide what's best for us with the information we have. I think the licker for me was a presentation by a Duke orthopod to a group of seniors. www.dukehealth.org/.../shoulder_pain_causes_and_treatments Her makes a clear differentiation between active shoulder pain (I have no pain when I swim, and shoulder pain that messes with your sleep. Mine is the latter and I am getting closer to thinking 1. If I want to keep swimming I have to fix it 2. it's the only way to help with the sleep. I appreciate this sire and this thread.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    I have been a daily swimmer for ten years. Before that I ran and, before that it was basketball. I'm 64 and have had on and off shoulder problems in my right (dominant) arm ever since I can remember. I began to have sleep related issues a year or so ago and finally decided to have it looked at. The MRI revealed a labrum tear and the pod felt surgery was the only way to go. I shattered my left leg in 8th grade and broke my back (T-6 compression fracture) in 75. I know I am a very lucky person to be able to have been this active and want to keep it up. I scheduled the surgery, came home and researched the recovery and decided to put it off. This was all this week and now, after more research, I'm more and more convinced I'm going to have to have it. These discussions are great but the common thread is that there is no common thread. we'll alkl have to decide what's best for us with the information we have. I think the licker for me was a presentation by a Duke orthopod to a group of seniors. www.dukehealth.org/.../shoulder_pain_causes_and_treatments Her makes a clear differentiation between active shoulder pain (I have no pain when I swim, and shoulder pain that messes with your sleep. Mine is the latter and I am getting closer to thinking 1. If I want to keep swimming I have to fix it 2. it's the only way to help with the sleep. I appreciate this sire and this thread.
Children
No Data