Shoulder Injury - Labrum Tear

I just got back from my last visit with my sports medicine doctor and he has recommeded orthoscopic surgery on my shoulder. After at least nine months of xray's, an mri, a cortizone shot, and a great rehab program the pain and catching in my shoulder just won't go away. After 30+ years of swimming and never having an injury that required surgery, I'm a little reluctant go under the knife. I wondering if any of you can give me some advice regarding labrum tear surgery, rehab, and recovery time. I am having a second opinion..... but would like to have more.. Thanks everyone.. Dennis
Parents
  • Dennis, I had labrum tears ( anterior and superior) , bicep tendon reattachment and Sub-acromial decompression work done 8/8/13. I just finished 23,400 yds on 12 swims in November.All strokes but fly. Rehab the heck out of it . I elected to move forward with the surgery even after being able to continue swimming . Long term, the labrum does not heal. there will be some work for you to do, but 4-6 months is nothing for several more years of swimming. BTW, mine was arthroscopic and done at the Andrews Sports medicine institute in Birmingham. Dr. Lyle Cain. He's a superstar and arthro expert. Good luck to you. Send a PM if you want to discuss further. Lin in Alabama
  • Dennis, I had labrum tears ( anterior and superior) , bicep tendon reattachment and Sub-acromial decompression work done 8/8/13. I just finished 23,400 yds on 12 swims in November.All strokes but fly. Rehab the heck out of it . I elected to move forward with the surgery even after being able to continue swimming . Long term, the labrum does not heal. there will be some work for you to do, but 4-6 months is nothing for several more years of swimming. BTW, mine was arthroscopic and done at the Andrews Sports medicine institute in Birmingham. Dr. Lyle Cain. He's a superstar and arthro expert. Good luck to you. Send a PM if you want to discuss further. Lin in Alabama
Children
No Data