Shoulder Injury - Labrum Tear

I just got back from my last visit with my sports medicine doctor and he has recommeded orthoscopic surgery on my shoulder. After at least nine months of xray's, an mri, a cortizone shot, and a great rehab program the pain and catching in my shoulder just won't go away. After 30+ years of swimming and never having an injury that required surgery, I'm a little reluctant go under the knife. I wondering if any of you can give me some advice regarding labrum tear surgery, rehab, and recovery time. I am having a second opinion..... but would like to have more.. Thanks everyone.. Dennis
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Hi, Lucky McCharm I would appreciate any advice you give me on a reverse bankart lesion. I am PT student and I am debating conservative vs arthroscopic repair. I like many of the people on here notice the pain/discomfort from impingement in the recovery process of the swimming stroke. (I am really into surfing, and I think the same should apply as in swimming) I pushed my surfing too much one day and the impingement caused a severe bursitis. This caused a tremendous pain and I ended up with a mri and the report confirmed the bursitis and labral tear. I believe if I did not want to surf all day that the conservative treatment would definitely work. I never had a traumatic dislocation, and I believe it has just been repeated minor subluxations that caused the tear. I am questioning if I don't get the labrum repaired if I will see increased instability over time, with a worse outcome than if I elect to get it repaired now when my shoulder is relatively stable? Is there any advice or resources you can point me too. I have talked with my professors, but I would like advice from someone who can relate to swimming. pbrown82284@gmail.com
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 10 years ago
    Hi, Lucky McCharm I would appreciate any advice you give me on a reverse bankart lesion. I am PT student and I am debating conservative vs arthroscopic repair. I like many of the people on here notice the pain/discomfort from impingement in the recovery process of the swimming stroke. (I am really into surfing, and I think the same should apply as in swimming) I pushed my surfing too much one day and the impingement caused a severe bursitis. This caused a tremendous pain and I ended up with a mri and the report confirmed the bursitis and labral tear. I believe if I did not want to surf all day that the conservative treatment would definitely work. I never had a traumatic dislocation, and I believe it has just been repeated minor subluxations that caused the tear. I am questioning if I don't get the labrum repaired if I will see increased instability over time, with a worse outcome than if I elect to get it repaired now when my shoulder is relatively stable? Is there any advice or resources you can point me too. I have talked with my professors, but I would like advice from someone who can relate to swimming. pbrown82284@gmail.com
Children
No Data