Shoulder Injury - Labrum Tear

I just got back from my last visit with my sports medicine doctor and he has recommeded orthoscopic surgery on my shoulder. After at least nine months of xray's, an mri, a cortizone shot, and a great rehab program the pain and catching in my shoulder just won't go away. After 30+ years of swimming and never having an injury that required surgery, I'm a little reluctant go under the knife. I wondering if any of you can give me some advice regarding labrum tear surgery, rehab, and recovery time. I am having a second opinion..... but would like to have more.. Thanks everyone.. Dennis
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 19 years ago
    This is a most informative, and excellent thread. I am another shoulder sufferer (damaged from my work as a Neuro Rehab person - although the muscles in the rotator cuff group,- the sustained and repetitive action was overkill ). I am currently experiencing a degree of pain after I swim, and a noticable stiffness in the joint post workout. I am not able to do a push up motion comfortably. Keeping the small muscles that attach to the shoulder blade stretched and loose is tricky. One problem I do come across in my line of work is teaching people how to switch off muscles after they have worked them. If we keep our resting tone raised, and not in a normal relaxed state we will be susceptible to injury. Poor posture, which in swimmers can be noticeable - shoulders slumping forwards and inwards will also contribute to injury. When we over use, or don't listen to our muscles, and continue to use them it's a given they will get damaged. Other muscles will come to their aid, but will soon fatigue and the problem will worsen. I agree with the advice: Get seen by a shoulder sports medicine therapist and an otho pod. Learn how all of your shoulder muscles work. Become sensory aware of all the muscles and when they are relaxed as well as working. Learn how to stretch and strengthen correctly. Correct your posture and adapt your workplace (eg sit on a ball at the computer, ensure your shoulder is fully supported when keyboarding etc) Adapt the workout to suit your needs (This is not a general excuse to completely change the coach's workout!!). Train all strokes for balance, but adapt eg fly if it bothers you. Above all train smart. Do your shoulder prevention exercises and stretches faithfully. Happy Healthy Shoulders.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 19 years ago
    This is a most informative, and excellent thread. I am another shoulder sufferer (damaged from my work as a Neuro Rehab person - although the muscles in the rotator cuff group,- the sustained and repetitive action was overkill ). I am currently experiencing a degree of pain after I swim, and a noticable stiffness in the joint post workout. I am not able to do a push up motion comfortably. Keeping the small muscles that attach to the shoulder blade stretched and loose is tricky. One problem I do come across in my line of work is teaching people how to switch off muscles after they have worked them. If we keep our resting tone raised, and not in a normal relaxed state we will be susceptible to injury. Poor posture, which in swimmers can be noticeable - shoulders slumping forwards and inwards will also contribute to injury. When we over use, or don't listen to our muscles, and continue to use them it's a given they will get damaged. Other muscles will come to their aid, but will soon fatigue and the problem will worsen. I agree with the advice: Get seen by a shoulder sports medicine therapist and an otho pod. Learn how all of your shoulder muscles work. Become sensory aware of all the muscles and when they are relaxed as well as working. Learn how to stretch and strengthen correctly. Correct your posture and adapt your workplace (eg sit on a ball at the computer, ensure your shoulder is fully supported when keyboarding etc) Adapt the workout to suit your needs (This is not a general excuse to completely change the coach's workout!!). Train all strokes for balance, but adapt eg fly if it bothers you. Above all train smart. Do your shoulder prevention exercises and stretches faithfully. Happy Healthy Shoulders.
Children
No Data