Shoulder Injury - Labrum Tear

I just got back from my last visit with my sports medicine doctor and he has recommeded orthoscopic surgery on my shoulder. After at least nine months of xray's, an mri, a cortizone shot, and a great rehab program the pain and catching in my shoulder just won't go away. After 30+ years of swimming and never having an injury that required surgery, I'm a little reluctant go under the knife. I wondering if any of you can give me some advice regarding labrum tear surgery, rehab, and recovery time. I am having a second opinion..... but would like to have more.. Thanks everyone.. Dennis
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 19 years ago
    Although I am a doctor, I'm not an orthopedist (but have had shoulder problems of my own). Jim asks some great questions. My understanding is that SLAP injuries can be diagnosed by MRI in many (most?) cases, if the radiologist is experienced. Arthroscopy will detect those that are missed by MRI. I don't believe surgery is required in all cases--I think it depends on the extent/size of the tear. This is a type of injury which in the past was not recognized and thus went untreated. If the problem is impingement and tendinitis, which is what I had (have), it can take several months of PT to see improvement. Antiinflammatory drugs and ice are very helpful. My orthopedist allowed me to keep swimming, but I made a number of adjustments. I didn't swim every day, I increased the yardage very slowly, I threw away my paddles, and I avoided butterfly. Over one year later, I don't think of myself as cured, but I've doubled my yardage, swim 6 days/week, and can swim butterfly without pain. I still do the PT exercises regularly at home and take glucosamine.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 19 years ago
    Although I am a doctor, I'm not an orthopedist (but have had shoulder problems of my own). Jim asks some great questions. My understanding is that SLAP injuries can be diagnosed by MRI in many (most?) cases, if the radiologist is experienced. Arthroscopy will detect those that are missed by MRI. I don't believe surgery is required in all cases--I think it depends on the extent/size of the tear. This is a type of injury which in the past was not recognized and thus went untreated. If the problem is impingement and tendinitis, which is what I had (have), it can take several months of PT to see improvement. Antiinflammatory drugs and ice are very helpful. My orthopedist allowed me to keep swimming, but I made a number of adjustments. I didn't swim every day, I increased the yardage very slowly, I threw away my paddles, and I avoided butterfly. Over one year later, I don't think of myself as cured, but I've doubled my yardage, swim 6 days/week, and can swim butterfly without pain. I still do the PT exercises regularly at home and take glucosamine.
Children
No Data