Shoulder Injury - Labrum Tear

I just got back from my last visit with my sports medicine doctor and he has recommeded orthoscopic surgery on my shoulder. After at least nine months of xray's, an mri, a cortizone shot, and a great rehab program the pain and catching in my shoulder just won't go away. After 30+ years of swimming and never having an injury that required surgery, I'm a little reluctant go under the knife. I wondering if any of you can give me some advice regarding labrum tear surgery, rehab, and recovery time. I am having a second opinion..... but would like to have more.. Thanks everyone.. Dennis
Parents
  • This is why I am confused: the shoulder is an incredibly complex joint, with all sorts of mayhem possible; plus the operative theories for pain seems to change. For a while, shrinking the capsule with a heat probe seemed to be the most promising treatment for "instability"--but now that seems to have maybe lost a little of its luster. I once interviewed shoulder guru, Richard Hawkins, of the Steadman-Hawkins Clinic somewhere out in the ski resort territory of Colorado, and he told me he thought that the acromion shaving business didn't make sense. Perhaps there is a doctor on the forum who is up to date on the state of the art thinking here--what has been discredited, what hasn't, what works, what doesn't, and how close to 100 percent sure is anybody about what is really going on? Kyra, I concur: good luck to us all!
  • This is why I am confused: the shoulder is an incredibly complex joint, with all sorts of mayhem possible; plus the operative theories for pain seems to change. For a while, shrinking the capsule with a heat probe seemed to be the most promising treatment for "instability"--but now that seems to have maybe lost a little of its luster. I once interviewed shoulder guru, Richard Hawkins, of the Steadman-Hawkins Clinic somewhere out in the ski resort territory of Colorado, and he told me he thought that the acromion shaving business didn't make sense. Perhaps there is a doctor on the forum who is up to date on the state of the art thinking here--what has been discredited, what hasn't, what works, what doesn't, and how close to 100 percent sure is anybody about what is really going on? Kyra, I concur: good luck to us all!
Children
No Data