Shoulder Injury - Labrum Tear

I just got back from my last visit with my sports medicine doctor and he has recommeded orthoscopic surgery on my shoulder. After at least nine months of xray's, an mri, a cortizone shot, and a great rehab program the pain and catching in my shoulder just won't go away. After 30+ years of swimming and never having an injury that required surgery, I'm a little reluctant go under the knife. I wondering if any of you can give me some advice regarding labrum tear surgery, rehab, and recovery time. I am having a second opinion..... but would like to have more.. Thanks everyone.. Dennis
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 19 years ago
    Slap lesion. I had the same problem back in 1989. Turns out the acromion was banging on something and the shoulder was all irritated from that. I had what is called a "sub-acromial decompression" where they shave the underside of the acromion to make more space for the tendons and ligaments. Do a search on Acromion. Turns out there are a couple of different shapes (all are normal) but can cause problems depending on what you do. Maybe the doctor means with the "AC" joint is the junction between the Acromion and the Collarbone? There is also a ligament called the Coraco-acromial ligament which (I was told) was left over from when we walked on all-fours. I had mine "snipped" in one surgery as it may have been the problem or contributing to the problem. Only problem is--it CAN grow back together.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 19 years ago
    Slap lesion. I had the same problem back in 1989. Turns out the acromion was banging on something and the shoulder was all irritated from that. I had what is called a "sub-acromial decompression" where they shave the underside of the acromion to make more space for the tendons and ligaments. Do a search on Acromion. Turns out there are a couple of different shapes (all are normal) but can cause problems depending on what you do. Maybe the doctor means with the "AC" joint is the junction between the Acromion and the Collarbone? There is also a ligament called the Coraco-acromial ligament which (I was told) was left over from when we walked on all-fours. I had mine "snipped" in one surgery as it may have been the problem or contributing to the problem. Only problem is--it CAN grow back together.
Children
No Data