Shoulder Injury - Labrum Tear

I just got back from my last visit with my sports medicine doctor and he has recommeded orthoscopic surgery on my shoulder. After at least nine months of xray's, an mri, a cortizone shot, and a great rehab program the pain and catching in my shoulder just won't go away. After 30+ years of swimming and never having an injury that required surgery, I'm a little reluctant go under the knife. I wondering if any of you can give me some advice regarding labrum tear surgery, rehab, and recovery time. I am having a second opinion..... but would like to have more.. Thanks everyone.. Dennis
Parents
  • I went to a physical therapist today to have my shoulder looked at, and after putting it through various maniupulations, some of which caused pain and restricted movement and some of which didn't, he told me I definitely have impingment and tendinitis/capsulitis, plus there's a chance (though not necessarily a great likelihood) of a SLAP lesion. Questions: 1) SLAP lesions seem to be the new kid on the shoulder block, so to speak. They also seem notoriously difficult to diagnose without going in with a scope and taking a look. Any chance they are being overdiagnosed? 2) It seems that the consensus opinion among surgeons is that these things won't heal on their own. Does anyone know why not? In terms of back problems, it used to be a given than a herniated disk causes pain, and needs to be fixed surgically. Then I recall reading that many, many people have herniated disks that cause no pain--that, in fact, the rate of pain with or without herniation seems about the same. Is it possible that SLAP lesions are the same--i.e., there may be plenty of asymptomatic folks out there with SLAP legions, but only the ones with pain get seen and diagnosed. If any of you out there are orthopods, trainers, or PTs, I would also appreciate any stats on the success of surgical repairs. And one last question: if I do have tendinitis w/o a SLAP tear or any kind of rotator cuff tear, how long does it take for inflamation to quiet down, assuming I don't keep tweaking it? What is a good time length to wait to see if there's any improvement?
  • I went to a physical therapist today to have my shoulder looked at, and after putting it through various maniupulations, some of which caused pain and restricted movement and some of which didn't, he told me I definitely have impingment and tendinitis/capsulitis, plus there's a chance (though not necessarily a great likelihood) of a SLAP lesion. Questions: 1) SLAP lesions seem to be the new kid on the shoulder block, so to speak. They also seem notoriously difficult to diagnose without going in with a scope and taking a look. Any chance they are being overdiagnosed? 2) It seems that the consensus opinion among surgeons is that these things won't heal on their own. Does anyone know why not? In terms of back problems, it used to be a given than a herniated disk causes pain, and needs to be fixed surgically. Then I recall reading that many, many people have herniated disks that cause no pain--that, in fact, the rate of pain with or without herniation seems about the same. Is it possible that SLAP lesions are the same--i.e., there may be plenty of asymptomatic folks out there with SLAP legions, but only the ones with pain get seen and diagnosed. If any of you out there are orthopods, trainers, or PTs, I would also appreciate any stats on the success of surgical repairs. And one last question: if I do have tendinitis w/o a SLAP tear or any kind of rotator cuff tear, how long does it take for inflamation to quiet down, assuming I don't keep tweaking it? What is a good time length to wait to see if there's any improvement?
Children
No Data