Shoulder Injury - Labrum Tear

I just got back from my last visit with my sports medicine doctor and he has recommeded orthoscopic surgery on my shoulder. After at least nine months of xray's, an mri, a cortizone shot, and a great rehab program the pain and catching in my shoulder just won't go away. After 30+ years of swimming and never having an injury that required surgery, I'm a little reluctant go under the knife. I wondering if any of you can give me some advice regarding labrum tear surgery, rehab, and recovery time. I am having a second opinion..... but would like to have more.. Thanks everyone.. Dennis
Parents
  • My wife recently had surgery for what was diagnosed as "tendenopothy", something that she has suffered from for almost 10 months. She did this after a lot of PT, kick only workouts, cortisone, etc. etc. failed to improve the pain. The scary thing was that after the surgeon started the surgery he quickly found what the MRI & X-rays didn't show, almost a 95% tear of her rotator cuff. Thankfully this surgeon has a long background of working with swimmers/athletes and was able to complete the surgery arthroscopically (he mentioned some doctors would have opened up the shoulder) and she should heal completely (6 months out of the water however). Point being; get several opinions, preferably with a doc who understands swimming. However, delaying surgery often can make things worse like it did for Laura, no amount of PT, acupuncture, cortisone or rest would have healed the problem. Good luck Dennis!
  • My wife recently had surgery for what was diagnosed as "tendenopothy", something that she has suffered from for almost 10 months. She did this after a lot of PT, kick only workouts, cortisone, etc. etc. failed to improve the pain. The scary thing was that after the surgeon started the surgery he quickly found what the MRI & X-rays didn't show, almost a 95% tear of her rotator cuff. Thankfully this surgeon has a long background of working with swimmers/athletes and was able to complete the surgery arthroscopically (he mentioned some doctors would have opened up the shoulder) and she should heal completely (6 months out of the water however). Point being; get several opinions, preferably with a doc who understands swimming. However, delaying surgery often can make things worse like it did for Laura, no amount of PT, acupuncture, cortisone or rest would have healed the problem. Good luck Dennis!
Children
No Data