Shoulder Injury - Labrum Tear

I just got back from my last visit with my sports medicine doctor and he has recommeded orthoscopic surgery on my shoulder. After at least nine months of xray's, an mri, a cortizone shot, and a great rehab program the pain and catching in my shoulder just won't go away. After 30+ years of swimming and never having an injury that required surgery, I'm a little reluctant go under the knife. I wondering if any of you can give me some advice regarding labrum tear surgery, rehab, and recovery time. I am having a second opinion..... but would like to have more.. Thanks everyone.. Dennis
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 20 years ago
    You should see a doctor AND an experienced sports physical therapist. You will likely be advised to try PT first and as pointed out elsewhere this is highly desirable. I strongly recommend against any swimming that hurts and stay away from any "support"devices that will help you swim. Stay focused on recovery. Furthermore, "slight" tears as evidenced through MRIs are quite inaccurate. It may be 20% detached or 70% detached or it might be totally detached. You'll know more once you try PT. If it doesn't start getting better within 6 weeks (no matter how miniscule the progress) then you'll need to look into other options. Recovery from labrum injury takes a long time. Again, you should avoid swimming until this is resolved. If you swim with a labrum injury you can easily mess up your mechanics and then cause damage to parts of the shoulder such as the rotator cuff. Good luck
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 20 years ago
    You should see a doctor AND an experienced sports physical therapist. You will likely be advised to try PT first and as pointed out elsewhere this is highly desirable. I strongly recommend against any swimming that hurts and stay away from any "support"devices that will help you swim. Stay focused on recovery. Furthermore, "slight" tears as evidenced through MRIs are quite inaccurate. It may be 20% detached or 70% detached or it might be totally detached. You'll know more once you try PT. If it doesn't start getting better within 6 weeks (no matter how miniscule the progress) then you'll need to look into other options. Recovery from labrum injury takes a long time. Again, you should avoid swimming until this is resolved. If you swim with a labrum injury you can easily mess up your mechanics and then cause damage to parts of the shoulder such as the rotator cuff. Good luck
Children
No Data