Shoulder Injury - Labrum Tear

I just got back from my last visit with my sports medicine doctor and he has recommeded orthoscopic surgery on my shoulder. After at least nine months of xray's, an mri, a cortizone shot, and a great rehab program the pain and catching in my shoulder just won't go away. After 30+ years of swimming and never having an injury that required surgery, I'm a little reluctant go under the knife. I wondering if any of you can give me some advice regarding labrum tear surgery, rehab, and recovery time. I am having a second opinion..... but would like to have more.. Thanks everyone.. Dennis
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 21 years ago
    I had surgery five weeks ago for "massive" SLAP lession (the labrum was detached from the bone) and "serious" rotator cuff tear. The labrum injury was non-swimming related and caused, some time later the rotator cuff tear. I tried massage, tested my shoulder arm from various other problems and then after the MRI showed a "possible" SLAP lession and partial rotator cuff tear (it was work the tear was nearly full thickness) I started a six week rehab program. After one week of rehab the pain got worse and my PT suggested scrapping it and finding another doc. (Cortisone also didn't help at all). That's when I had surgery. BTW, this doctor told me that rehab will not repair a SLAP lesion. During the six months of trying to figure out what to do I spoke to a number of swimmers who elected to have this surgery (I did not speak to those who elected to rehab it so there was a built in bias). I heard repeated stories of failed rehab..or rehab that worked for a short time. I was pretty much resigned to surgery by then so these stories did not really impact my decision that much. If rehab and the other treatments methods don't work and you do have surgery a few words of advice. The surgery is really a piece of cake. It doesn't take more than 1-2 hours. BUT once the nerve block wears off it hurts like hell. I'd insist on getting morphine if I ever do my other shoulder. Also talk to your doctor about pain management in advance. Get lots of drugs because you'll need them. I'm told that it will take at least 12 weeks of rehab (because of the labrum injury I couldn't start rehab until 10 days after surgery and the first 6-8 weeks is dedicated to regaining motion) before I can start swimming and 12 months before fully recovered. The good news is that many people who've had this surgery report a very good experience one year out. Good luck PS: Laura--hope your shoulder is better. It's tough sitting on the sidelines watching Jenny get into fine racing shape.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 21 years ago
    I had surgery five weeks ago for "massive" SLAP lession (the labrum was detached from the bone) and "serious" rotator cuff tear. The labrum injury was non-swimming related and caused, some time later the rotator cuff tear. I tried massage, tested my shoulder arm from various other problems and then after the MRI showed a "possible" SLAP lession and partial rotator cuff tear (it was work the tear was nearly full thickness) I started a six week rehab program. After one week of rehab the pain got worse and my PT suggested scrapping it and finding another doc. (Cortisone also didn't help at all). That's when I had surgery. BTW, this doctor told me that rehab will not repair a SLAP lesion. During the six months of trying to figure out what to do I spoke to a number of swimmers who elected to have this surgery (I did not speak to those who elected to rehab it so there was a built in bias). I heard repeated stories of failed rehab..or rehab that worked for a short time. I was pretty much resigned to surgery by then so these stories did not really impact my decision that much. If rehab and the other treatments methods don't work and you do have surgery a few words of advice. The surgery is really a piece of cake. It doesn't take more than 1-2 hours. BUT once the nerve block wears off it hurts like hell. I'd insist on getting morphine if I ever do my other shoulder. Also talk to your doctor about pain management in advance. Get lots of drugs because you'll need them. I'm told that it will take at least 12 weeks of rehab (because of the labrum injury I couldn't start rehab until 10 days after surgery and the first 6-8 weeks is dedicated to regaining motion) before I can start swimming and 12 months before fully recovered. The good news is that many people who've had this surgery report a very good experience one year out. Good luck PS: Laura--hope your shoulder is better. It's tough sitting on the sidelines watching Jenny get into fine racing shape.
Children
No Data