Is your pool too hot !

Former Member
Former Member
My local pool has just raised the water temp to 30 ' C ( 86 ' F ) ! At this temp I am exhausted after 4 lengths. A full workout of 60 to 90 mins is impossible without suffering heat exhaustion. They have already had 1 swimmer collapse on poolside after swimming hard for 40 mins. This has happened because a ' disabled swim group ' who use the pool for 45 mins once a week keep complaining about how cold the pool is. The pool management can't figure out the pool temp software so the temp is set that high for 24/7. It used to be 27' C ( 80.6' F ) and was then raised to 28'C (82.4 ' F ) 1 year ago. I can't set workouts for my club that cause heat distress if carried out so it is a nightmare. My training is on hold until i can change this and I will have to move my masters club to another pool if not changed. Maybe ' Shaky's ' pool has space for us ? Emmet Hines in his book says that 82 ' F ( 27.7' C ) is ideal for training, and that anything over 84' F ( 28.4 ' C ) is too hot. Does anyone else suffer through hot water temperatures ? Can anyone recommend online research that I can use to prove the dangers of excercising in hot water ?
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 21 years ago
    You should know better than to give me an opening. Originally posted by Gareth Eckley Maybe ' Shaky's ' pool has space for us ? No! :D At one point I was trying to avoid the crowds in my pool by swimming as late in the evening as possible, the 90 minutes before it closed. One night, about a third of the way through my workout, the jets at the shallow end of the pool began spewing forth hot water. The thermometer in the deep end read 82', but the water filling the shallow end was considerably warmer. I don't know what's worse, swimming in a hot pool or swimming hot, cold, hot, cold... It wasn't a gradual thing; there was a surprisingly well-defined line between the cold water and hot water. Every lap held an unpleasant shock, and it seemed impossible to adjust to it. I complained to the lifeguard about it and asked her to turn off the hot water, so she pulled the thermometer hanging several feet down in the deep end. "It's only 82' in there," she said. "I can't make it any colder than that." I tried in vain to explain that the temperature in the deep end wasn't the problem, that it was the hot water in the shallow end and the difference in temperature from one end of the pool to the other that was a shock. She just didn't get it, and she told me that she had to heat the pool for the people who use the pool in the morning. It turned out that our elderly water aerobes had complained about the pool being too cold in the mornings, so somebody decided the night lifeguards should turn up the heat the night before, just for them. "Turn it up when you close the pool!" I said. "We can't let it heat all night," was the response I got. Huh? The best explanation I could get from her was that they were heating the water the last hour of the evening, then turning it off and letting it cool all night before the pool opened in the morning. Now here's where the real genius kicked in. The water aerobes didn't actually enter the pool until two hours after it opened. "Why don't you just kick on the heat in the morning when you first open the pool?" I asked. "That way it won't screw us up at night, but it will still be ready by the time they get in." "Because the masters team and triathletes who swim in the morning don't like the water that warm." I gave up that discussion right there. For some reason, however, they didn't stick with the strategy of warming the pool the last hour of the day, and the next week it was back to normal. I don't know for certain, but I'm guessing that procedure involved the lifeguards remembering to change the temperature, and I'm betting they just forgot about it until that policy just faded into oblivion.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 21 years ago
    You should know better than to give me an opening. Originally posted by Gareth Eckley Maybe ' Shaky's ' pool has space for us ? No! :D At one point I was trying to avoid the crowds in my pool by swimming as late in the evening as possible, the 90 minutes before it closed. One night, about a third of the way through my workout, the jets at the shallow end of the pool began spewing forth hot water. The thermometer in the deep end read 82', but the water filling the shallow end was considerably warmer. I don't know what's worse, swimming in a hot pool or swimming hot, cold, hot, cold... It wasn't a gradual thing; there was a surprisingly well-defined line between the cold water and hot water. Every lap held an unpleasant shock, and it seemed impossible to adjust to it. I complained to the lifeguard about it and asked her to turn off the hot water, so she pulled the thermometer hanging several feet down in the deep end. "It's only 82' in there," she said. "I can't make it any colder than that." I tried in vain to explain that the temperature in the deep end wasn't the problem, that it was the hot water in the shallow end and the difference in temperature from one end of the pool to the other that was a shock. She just didn't get it, and she told me that she had to heat the pool for the people who use the pool in the morning. It turned out that our elderly water aerobes had complained about the pool being too cold in the mornings, so somebody decided the night lifeguards should turn up the heat the night before, just for them. "Turn it up when you close the pool!" I said. "We can't let it heat all night," was the response I got. Huh? The best explanation I could get from her was that they were heating the water the last hour of the evening, then turning it off and letting it cool all night before the pool opened in the morning. Now here's where the real genius kicked in. The water aerobes didn't actually enter the pool until two hours after it opened. "Why don't you just kick on the heat in the morning when you first open the pool?" I asked. "That way it won't screw us up at night, but it will still be ready by the time they get in." "Because the masters team and triathletes who swim in the morning don't like the water that warm." I gave up that discussion right there. For some reason, however, they didn't stick with the strategy of warming the pool the last hour of the day, and the next week it was back to normal. I don't know for certain, but I'm guessing that procedure involved the lifeguards remembering to change the temperature, and I'm betting they just forgot about it until that policy just faded into oblivion.
Children
No Data