Taper for Masters swimmers

Former Member
Former Member
Hi I am looking for help. I want to know how masters swimmers plan out their Taper before competition. How long is it ? How much do you reduce the distance and intensity of your workouts ? How effective has it been? Do you Taper at all? I have found through my own swimming that the Taper for masters swimmers is not the same as for elite swimmers. I don't think that we need the same taper as we are not doing 50,000 + meters a week ! All of the research out there is written for elite swimmers. If anyone knows of an article dealing with taper for masters swimmers then please tell me. I am thinking of writing a paper on this if I can get enough info. If you could say how you plan your Taper, what your weekly volumes are and the events you swim then I would be eternally thankfull.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    I was surprised to get a response so many years later. Funny for me looking back at myself as a 40 year old. I am now at 53 much healthier, with only a short 5 week allergy season in the spring to contend with. I am also swimming with the superb Okanagan Masters Swim Club in Kelowna, Canada. We have the advantage of over 120 swimmers, morning long course and evening short course sessions and 7 very good coaches. This year, I am actually beating my personal best times from 2003 by around 5%. Well, its weird to see something I wrote years ago too. I did only 5 meets from 2002 to march 2004 and dropped out with some lap swimming on and off to 2006. I can't swim as fast in years as I did in meters in 2003 but I going to be 60 years old.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 7 years ago
    I was surprised to get a response so many years later. Funny for me looking back at myself as a 40 year old. I am now at 53 much healthier, with only a short 5 week allergy season in the spring to contend with. I am also swimming with the superb Okanagan Masters Swim Club in Kelowna, Canada. We have the advantage of over 120 swimmers, morning long course and evening short course sessions and 7 very good coaches. This year, I am actually beating my personal best times from 2003 by around 5%. Well, its weird to see something I wrote years ago too. I did only 5 meets from 2002 to march 2004 and dropped out with some lap swimming on and off to 2006. I can't swim as fast in years as I did in meters in 2003 but I going to be 60 years old.
Children
No Data