Taper for Masters swimmers

Former Member
Former Member
Hi I am looking for help. I want to know how masters swimmers plan out their Taper before competition. How long is it ? How much do you reduce the distance and intensity of your workouts ? How effective has it been? Do you Taper at all? I have found through my own swimming that the Taper for masters swimmers is not the same as for elite swimmers. I don't think that we need the same taper as we are not doing 50,000 + meters a week ! All of the research out there is written for elite swimmers. If anyone knows of an article dealing with taper for masters swimmers then please tell me. I am thinking of writing a paper on this if I can get enough info. If you could say how you plan your Taper, what your weekly volumes are and the events you swim then I would be eternally thankfull.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 21 years ago
    Thanks everybody for your feedback. My own experience of Tapering has been hard to evaluate. My problem is that i have two periods of the year when Allergies & Asthma interfere with my performance. The first allergy season starts last week of January and ends in late June. I have strong reactions to Tree Pollen. As I swim every other day, I can judge the effect. I will go from easily doing 90 min swims of 3,200m to 3,500m , depending on what stroke or how much sprint/distance is in the mix in the 1st few weeks of January. To the next week struggling to get through 1500m. Then I am tired, asthmatic and dragging myself around for the next 5 months. I have had shots, a good asthma management program and take anti-histamines but the Lethargy is still there. Unfortunately most of the best swim meets take place in these months. My 2nd allergy season starts in October, when the Heating system goes on and lasts until early December. The other good swim meets are in this period. So, I really have a good 3 mth season from July to September. In this time I have tons of energy and swim my best times. However, there are few Swim meets in these months. So it is hard for me to evaluate the best Taper from my own experience as in my allergy season even a week of complete rest gives me no "Bounce" or "up-tick". For advising my Masters group on this I am looking to see how other Master swimmers taper. Two good bits of info on how to evaluate the Taper that I have gleaned are: 1- Test the height of your Vertical jump against a wall. This will be less during hard training and at its maximum at the end of your taper. I think that this comes from Wayne MacAuley, on his breaststroke site - www.breaststrokeinfo.com. 2- Test times on 25m sprints every 4-6 swims. The times should be at maximum just before your event. I feel that if a swimmer is doing less than 15,000m a week then only a 3 or 4 day tapering off is needed. I can't prove this tho. I have thoroughly reviewed the info in the latest editions of "Swimming Fastest" by Magaschilo and "Breakthrough swimming" by Colwin but they are concerned with the experience of Elite, high training volume swimmers, so are not a great help with masters.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 21 years ago
    Thanks everybody for your feedback. My own experience of Tapering has been hard to evaluate. My problem is that i have two periods of the year when Allergies & Asthma interfere with my performance. The first allergy season starts last week of January and ends in late June. I have strong reactions to Tree Pollen. As I swim every other day, I can judge the effect. I will go from easily doing 90 min swims of 3,200m to 3,500m , depending on what stroke or how much sprint/distance is in the mix in the 1st few weeks of January. To the next week struggling to get through 1500m. Then I am tired, asthmatic and dragging myself around for the next 5 months. I have had shots, a good asthma management program and take anti-histamines but the Lethargy is still there. Unfortunately most of the best swim meets take place in these months. My 2nd allergy season starts in October, when the Heating system goes on and lasts until early December. The other good swim meets are in this period. So, I really have a good 3 mth season from July to September. In this time I have tons of energy and swim my best times. However, there are few Swim meets in these months. So it is hard for me to evaluate the best Taper from my own experience as in my allergy season even a week of complete rest gives me no "Bounce" or "up-tick". For advising my Masters group on this I am looking to see how other Master swimmers taper. Two good bits of info on how to evaluate the Taper that I have gleaned are: 1- Test the height of your Vertical jump against a wall. This will be less during hard training and at its maximum at the end of your taper. I think that this comes from Wayne MacAuley, on his breaststroke site - www.breaststrokeinfo.com. 2- Test times on 25m sprints every 4-6 swims. The times should be at maximum just before your event. I feel that if a swimmer is doing less than 15,000m a week then only a 3 or 4 day tapering off is needed. I can't prove this tho. I have thoroughly reviewed the info in the latest editions of "Swimming Fastest" by Magaschilo and "Breakthrough swimming" by Colwin but they are concerned with the experience of Elite, high training volume swimmers, so are not a great help with masters.
Children
No Data