Ear problems - NOT an infection or water in the ear!

Former Member
Former Member
For the past 4 days, my ears feel like I'm in an airplane - all plugged up. If I pinch my nose and blow, they clear out but only for a couple minutes before sealing up again. Pretty much just like on a plane. My doctor told me today (after determing there is no infection) that swimmers are prone to problems with the eustachian tubes and that there's not much that can be done about it. He suggested wearing ear plugs while swimming, though I'm skeptical that is going to help. Anybody else have experience with this problem? It's REALLY annoying. I never get ear infections (not since I was about 10, anyway) and I use Swim-Ear always after swimming to dry out my ears. It really seems to have nothing to do with water in the ears, just this sudden inability to balance the pressure.
Parents
  • I have a perforated eardrum. I had my ear doctor make a custom made earplug. It still leaks a tiny bit so I put Vaseline around the earplug to get an added seal. The plug stays in while training but I need a cap that will stay down over my ears if I dive off the blocks. I have tried latex, lycra and silicone. They all roll up. I tried the EarBandit, but that is for a 3 year old that is not pushing off the wall as it rolled up on my turns. I could use the one with the strap under the chin with a flower on top, but....... Any ideas on how to keep my ear plug covered so I can do start off the block would be greatly appreciated.
  • I have a perforated eardrum. I had my ear doctor make a custom made earplug. It still leaks a tiny bit so I put Vaseline around the earplug to get an added seal. The plug stays in while training but I need a cap that will stay down over my ears if I dive off the blocks. I have tried latex, lycra and silicone. They all roll up. I tried the EarBandit, but that is for a 3 year old that is not pushing off the wall as it rolled up on my turns. I could use the one with the strap under the chin with a flower on top, but....... Any ideas on how to keep my ear plug covered so I can do start off the block would be greatly appreciated.
Children
No Data