Endless Pools and Their Competitors

Former Member
Former Member
I am seriously considering investing in an Endless Pool. I would like to hear about other people's experience with them or their competitors (SwimEx, etc.) from various perspectives -- ease of maintenance, finding qualified individuals to fix it if something goes wrong, quality of workout for a fairly avid swimmer (1:05 100M free, 45 year old male), workout for more recreational swimmers, buying various options including dimensions and speed, differentiation amongst brands, how important it is to "take test drive" before buying, installation considerations. Any comments, ideas or other thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 21 years ago
    Jonathan, I installed an Endless Pool last September and it is amazing. Feel free to e-mail me direct at my listed e-mail on my USMS Forum account. I'll put a few comments in this reply: - Quality of the Endless Pool is extremely high. I've had no problems at all and have been impressed with the top craftsmanship of the product. - I did some comparison and Endless Pool was the only one I found with the intake system in the rear which helps to create a mostly smooth current for swimming. Most other swimming machines (usually called swim spas), don't do the intake and return which causes them to be rather splashy. - The pool lives up to everything it says it can do, including near sprint speed swimming. I compete (not quite at your times yet) and when I train in my Endless Pool, I generally take it up to about 60% it's max. at my hardest training. - The Endless Pool is expensive compared to most (or all) others, but so far I think it's worth the price. - Endless Pool company and it's people are great with customer service and knowing the product. They keep you informed and do continuous follow-up. - I had someone in the Washington, DC area (private contractor) who has installed over 50 Endless Pools do most of my installation. That too is not cheap, but I thought since I spent so much on the pool itself that I shouldn't cut corners in its installation. Although it can be a do-it-yourself job, it is still a major construction project. - I got many options. I got 2' longer, 2' wider and 1.5' deeper, swim mirror, electronic swim meter (which converts the current into many stats., including how fast your're swimming and how far in meters). - I installed my pool in the backyard with about 2/3 of it above ground surrounded by a new deck. Mine is in the outdoors subject to DC's weather elements. I have the optional gas heater and it works just fine allowing me to swim even in the coldest snowy weather we've had in DC this year. I've swum when temps have reached the single digits this winter and the pools heater and thermal cover have kept the pool temp at a nice swimming temp. - Utilities haven't gone up much to run the pool which was a surprise. I had expected more. - Now probably what's most important is how the swimming actually is. It takes a bit to get used to but after a few swims it works great. I have found it's a good compliment to my swimming in a regular pool. It works the upper body harder. It also allows for good leg work with a kick board. If you've swum in an Endless Pool a bunch and then go to a regular pool after some time, the first few laps feel very strange but then you're right back into a regular feel. I had considered an Endless Pool for over two years before I bought one. Partly because of the cost and partly because I had my doubts. I did a "test swim" which Endless Pools will set up for you at an owner's house. I participate in that program. That's what I did before I decided. The owner I was hooked up with was very good at letting me swim a long time and explaining the installation and all the equipment. If you do a test swim, ask to be matched with a similar swimmer (competitive). Endless Pools keeps that information in their customer database. That way you can ask the owner things about competitive swim training vs. an owner that might be just a recreational swimmer. Maintenance is very easy (I put in 1 cup of Clorox bleach twice a week! - that's it. That's all it takes to maintain proper chemical balance. And the system it uses only needs about 1/5 or less the normal chlorine pool takes). Hope this is helpful. Again, feel free to e-mail me direct and I'll be glad to answer any questions you have. Dan
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 21 years ago
    Jonathan, I installed an Endless Pool last September and it is amazing. Feel free to e-mail me direct at my listed e-mail on my USMS Forum account. I'll put a few comments in this reply: - Quality of the Endless Pool is extremely high. I've had no problems at all and have been impressed with the top craftsmanship of the product. - I did some comparison and Endless Pool was the only one I found with the intake system in the rear which helps to create a mostly smooth current for swimming. Most other swimming machines (usually called swim spas), don't do the intake and return which causes them to be rather splashy. - The pool lives up to everything it says it can do, including near sprint speed swimming. I compete (not quite at your times yet) and when I train in my Endless Pool, I generally take it up to about 60% it's max. at my hardest training. - The Endless Pool is expensive compared to most (or all) others, but so far I think it's worth the price. - Endless Pool company and it's people are great with customer service and knowing the product. They keep you informed and do continuous follow-up. - I had someone in the Washington, DC area (private contractor) who has installed over 50 Endless Pools do most of my installation. That too is not cheap, but I thought since I spent so much on the pool itself that I shouldn't cut corners in its installation. Although it can be a do-it-yourself job, it is still a major construction project. - I got many options. I got 2' longer, 2' wider and 1.5' deeper, swim mirror, electronic swim meter (which converts the current into many stats., including how fast your're swimming and how far in meters). - I installed my pool in the backyard with about 2/3 of it above ground surrounded by a new deck. Mine is in the outdoors subject to DC's weather elements. I have the optional gas heater and it works just fine allowing me to swim even in the coldest snowy weather we've had in DC this year. I've swum when temps have reached the single digits this winter and the pools heater and thermal cover have kept the pool temp at a nice swimming temp. - Utilities haven't gone up much to run the pool which was a surprise. I had expected more. - Now probably what's most important is how the swimming actually is. It takes a bit to get used to but after a few swims it works great. I have found it's a good compliment to my swimming in a regular pool. It works the upper body harder. It also allows for good leg work with a kick board. If you've swum in an Endless Pool a bunch and then go to a regular pool after some time, the first few laps feel very strange but then you're right back into a regular feel. I had considered an Endless Pool for over two years before I bought one. Partly because of the cost and partly because I had my doubts. I did a "test swim" which Endless Pools will set up for you at an owner's house. I participate in that program. That's what I did before I decided. The owner I was hooked up with was very good at letting me swim a long time and explaining the installation and all the equipment. If you do a test swim, ask to be matched with a similar swimmer (competitive). Endless Pools keeps that information in their customer database. That way you can ask the owner things about competitive swim training vs. an owner that might be just a recreational swimmer. Maintenance is very easy (I put in 1 cup of Clorox bleach twice a week! - that's it. That's all it takes to maintain proper chemical balance. And the system it uses only needs about 1/5 or less the normal chlorine pool takes). Hope this is helpful. Again, feel free to e-mail me direct and I'll be glad to answer any questions you have. Dan
Children
No Data