The worst pool in the world ?

Former Member
Former Member
How about some reminiscing about the worst pools you ever were forced to work out and/or compete in ?? Our old pool was 20 yards long, with gutters and the deck was about 2 feet above that. The water level was always low, so it was like ocean swimming every day. There were no starting blocks and the "lane lines" were nylon cord with a plastic bobber every 3 feet or so. The water was always quite warm to accomodate the family swims and lessons that were also sharing the pool during the day. Since goggles had not yet been invented and the only antiseptic method was chlorine (lots of it), we would have those chlorine "light halos" until the next day. The kick-boards were solid, varnished wood and they doubled as pull-buoys. There were no fins or hand paddles. Thank the higher power of your choice that we had a GREAT coach. Oh, did I mention that they used to beat us with knives??? Bert
Parents
  • While I was in the AF stationed in the UK in the late 80's I helped coach the high school team. We had a meet at a local village, Mildenhall if I remember correctly, and the water depth was about 2' in the shallow end to about 4' in the deep end and the lane ropes were literally nylon ropes "sort of" separating lanes...and the water felt like bath water, yuck! Did you swim in any Masters meets while you were there? I worked in London from 87 - 90 and swam in a few as a member of Otter Swim Club. I think one was short course meters, indoors, maybe in Oxford?
  • While I was in the AF stationed in the UK in the late 80's I helped coach the high school team. We had a meet at a local village, Mildenhall if I remember correctly, and the water depth was about 2' in the shallow end to about 4' in the deep end and the lane ropes were literally nylon ropes "sort of" separating lanes...and the water felt like bath water, yuck! Did you swim in any Masters meets while you were there? I worked in London from 87 - 90 and swam in a few as a member of Otter Swim Club. I think one was short course meters, indoors, maybe in Oxford?
Children
No Data