The worst pool in the world ?

Former Member
Former Member
How about some reminiscing about the worst pools you ever were forced to work out and/or compete in ?? Our old pool was 20 yards long, with gutters and the deck was about 2 feet above that. The water level was always low, so it was like ocean swimming every day. There were no starting blocks and the "lane lines" were nylon cord with a plastic bobber every 3 feet or so. The water was always quite warm to accomodate the family swims and lessons that were also sharing the pool during the day. Since goggles had not yet been invented and the only antiseptic method was chlorine (lots of it), we would have those chlorine "light halos" until the next day. The kick-boards were solid, varnished wood and they doubled as pull-buoys. There were no fins or hand paddles. Thank the higher power of your choice that we had a GREAT coach. Oh, did I mention that they used to beat us with knives??? Bert
Parents
  • OK, I know this is a really old thread, but.....back when I was a kid I recall working out in a pool that was 23 1/3 yards long. It was in Michigan, just outside of Toledo (forget which small town). The record board was pretty funny with all of the odd distances like the 186 2/3 yard medley relay. They also had lines on the bottom of the pool which marked the end of 100 and 200 yard swims. To swim 100 yards, for example, you swam 4 lengths and then swam 6.66 yards to the line on the bottom. One more, and somewhat embarassing given it's my alma matter, Purdue used to have a 48 (or 49?) meter outdoor pool. One would think that a school known for engineering could measure correctly when building a pool.
  • OK, I know this is a really old thread, but.....back when I was a kid I recall working out in a pool that was 23 1/3 yards long. It was in Michigan, just outside of Toledo (forget which small town). The record board was pretty funny with all of the odd distances like the 186 2/3 yard medley relay. They also had lines on the bottom of the pool which marked the end of 100 and 200 yard swims. To swim 100 yards, for example, you swam 4 lengths and then swam 6.66 yards to the line on the bottom. One more, and somewhat embarassing given it's my alma matter, Purdue used to have a 48 (or 49?) meter outdoor pool. One would think that a school known for engineering could measure correctly when building a pool.
Children
No Data