The worst pool in the world ?

Former Member
Former Member
How about some reminiscing about the worst pools you ever were forced to work out and/or compete in ?? Our old pool was 20 yards long, with gutters and the deck was about 2 feet above that. The water level was always low, so it was like ocean swimming every day. There were no starting blocks and the "lane lines" were nylon cord with a plastic bobber every 3 feet or so. The water was always quite warm to accomodate the family swims and lessons that were also sharing the pool during the day. Since goggles had not yet been invented and the only antiseptic method was chlorine (lots of it), we would have those chlorine "light halos" until the next day. The kick-boards were solid, varnished wood and they doubled as pull-buoys. There were no fins or hand paddles. Thank the higher power of your choice that we had a GREAT coach. Oh, did I mention that they used to beat us with knives??? Bert
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 21 years ago
    I never got the opportunity to swim in salt water or 55 yard pools. I swam in the old 33 1/3 pools, one of them now has a bulkhead and is made into a 25 yard pool and has a little warm-up pool because of the bulkhead, I found this out on the internet. Also, I was in the era where novice swimming was in its heyday. Novice swimming was not just in summertime where I use to live and I also use to go to swim meets in the 20 yard pools at the novice meets as well as 33 1/3 pools and even a 25 meter pool-before short course meters became popular here. Some of the pools I swam in would be considered too swallow by todays standards or too deep at one end since they built the diving board on the other end and did not have a separate diving well but I think few of them were as bad as some of the other pools and the water range from being too cold to too hot
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 21 years ago
    I never got the opportunity to swim in salt water or 55 yard pools. I swam in the old 33 1/3 pools, one of them now has a bulkhead and is made into a 25 yard pool and has a little warm-up pool because of the bulkhead, I found this out on the internet. Also, I was in the era where novice swimming was in its heyday. Novice swimming was not just in summertime where I use to live and I also use to go to swim meets in the 20 yard pools at the novice meets as well as 33 1/3 pools and even a 25 meter pool-before short course meters became popular here. Some of the pools I swam in would be considered too swallow by todays standards or too deep at one end since they built the diving board on the other end and did not have a separate diving well but I think few of them were as bad as some of the other pools and the water range from being too cold to too hot
Children
No Data