The worst pool in the world ?

Former Member
Former Member
How about some reminiscing about the worst pools you ever were forced to work out and/or compete in ?? Our old pool was 20 yards long, with gutters and the deck was about 2 feet above that. The water level was always low, so it was like ocean swimming every day. There were no starting blocks and the "lane lines" were nylon cord with a plastic bobber every 3 feet or so. The water was always quite warm to accomodate the family swims and lessons that were also sharing the pool during the day. Since goggles had not yet been invented and the only antiseptic method was chlorine (lots of it), we would have those chlorine "light halos" until the next day. The kick-boards were solid, varnished wood and they doubled as pull-buoys. There were no fins or hand paddles. Thank the higher power of your choice that we had a GREAT coach. Oh, did I mention that they used to beat us with knives??? Bert
Parents
  • I would have to say that the worst pool I ever swam in was in Ouxtepec, Mexico. I guess I need to say that this pool went from a great pool to the worst pool within one weeks time. Our college team travelled there during the holiday break to compete with the Mexican and French Junior National teams. During the two days we competed in the pool it was absolutely beautiful. We stayed for another week to train and enjoy the warm weather in central Mexico. I would have to guess that after the meet finished the pool maintaince had to have stopped. They didn't pump any chemicals in nor did they vacuum the pool. To top it off, the village around the complex was burning the sugar cane fields and ashes were floating into the pool. I remember by day 4 you couldn't see the bottom of the pool, there was trash floating on the edges, with foam and hair stuck to the wall. Coach was absolutely mad about the whole situation and also had to pretty much threw all of our butts in the water everday. They say don't drink the water in Mexico... I say don't swim in it either..... Since that experience I have never complained about the pool we have in the USA. Small minor chemical problems just don't compare.
  • I would have to say that the worst pool I ever swam in was in Ouxtepec, Mexico. I guess I need to say that this pool went from a great pool to the worst pool within one weeks time. Our college team travelled there during the holiday break to compete with the Mexican and French Junior National teams. During the two days we competed in the pool it was absolutely beautiful. We stayed for another week to train and enjoy the warm weather in central Mexico. I would have to guess that after the meet finished the pool maintaince had to have stopped. They didn't pump any chemicals in nor did they vacuum the pool. To top it off, the village around the complex was burning the sugar cane fields and ashes were floating into the pool. I remember by day 4 you couldn't see the bottom of the pool, there was trash floating on the edges, with foam and hair stuck to the wall. Coach was absolutely mad about the whole situation and also had to pretty much threw all of our butts in the water everday. They say don't drink the water in Mexico... I say don't swim in it either..... Since that experience I have never complained about the pool we have in the USA. Small minor chemical problems just don't compare.
Children
No Data