The worst pool in the world ?

Former Member
Former Member
How about some reminiscing about the worst pools you ever were forced to work out and/or compete in ?? Our old pool was 20 yards long, with gutters and the deck was about 2 feet above that. The water level was always low, so it was like ocean swimming every day. There were no starting blocks and the "lane lines" were nylon cord with a plastic bobber every 3 feet or so. The water was always quite warm to accomodate the family swims and lessons that were also sharing the pool during the day. Since goggles had not yet been invented and the only antiseptic method was chlorine (lots of it), we would have those chlorine "light halos" until the next day. The kick-boards were solid, varnished wood and they doubled as pull-buoys. There were no fins or hand paddles. Thank the higher power of your choice that we had a GREAT coach. Oh, did I mention that they used to beat us with knives??? Bert
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 21 years ago
    I can remember swimming in some Y pools that were like dungeons - kind of dark with very low ceilings and no windows. I too remember the lack of goggles and how all the street lights had rings around them after practice. As for water temperature, the pools of my youth were much cooler than the pools I swim in now. Some of them were almost painful to get into. The pool I swim in now is usually kept much too warm in order to accomodate the water aerobics and arthritis classes. It's a 50 meter pool, but they use it like a therapy pool. In the summer I go through a large water bottle per workout and still feel wilted while I'm swimming. Sigh! They had heater problems for a couple of weeks after Christmas and the swimmers were delighted. Today the water was 80, which is the best the swimmers can hope for most of the time. However, after swimming in water that was down around 75, it felt pretty warm to me. However, the water aerobes, who were back for the first time in several weeks thought the water was really cold.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 21 years ago
    I can remember swimming in some Y pools that were like dungeons - kind of dark with very low ceilings and no windows. I too remember the lack of goggles and how all the street lights had rings around them after practice. As for water temperature, the pools of my youth were much cooler than the pools I swim in now. Some of them were almost painful to get into. The pool I swim in now is usually kept much too warm in order to accomodate the water aerobics and arthritis classes. It's a 50 meter pool, but they use it like a therapy pool. In the summer I go through a large water bottle per workout and still feel wilted while I'm swimming. Sigh! They had heater problems for a couple of weeks after Christmas and the swimmers were delighted. Today the water was 80, which is the best the swimmers can hope for most of the time. However, after swimming in water that was down around 75, it felt pretty warm to me. However, the water aerobes, who were back for the first time in several weeks thought the water was really cold.
Children
No Data