Change in calories burnt

Former Member
Former Member
Hi there, I am completely new to this thread. I have not swum in years although I swam competitively all the way through university and then basically swam with my kids and grandkids. This year, as part of a whole 'get healthy' lifestyle change I have added swimming back into my exercise routine. But I am confused about something and hopefully there are experts out there who can help me. When I started 4 weeks ago I swam 1010 meters in 30 minutes, with an average 116 strokes per 100m (breaststroke). My calories burnt showed as 412 on my Apple watch. Yesterday I swam 1320 meters in 30 minutes, with an average of 66 strokes per 100m and my calorie count was 285. It has been steadily decreasing even as my speed increased, and my strokes improved. I know I am not going to win any contests, but at the moment I am not worried about that. Just interested why the calorie count decreases although I am a more efficient swimmer. I have lost another 3-5lbs in that time, so that is not my concern, although that may play into it. I have about another 10lbs to reach my final weight loss goal. Any input will be really helpful.
Parents
  • The above is true, but there also may be some atrifact as I suspect your watch has stroke count as one of the measures. More efficient will show up as less calories even if you are actually really exerting yourself each stroke.
  • The above is true, but there also may be some atrifact as I suspect your watch has stroke count as one of the measures. More efficient will show up as less calories even if you are actually really exerting yourself each stroke.
Children
No Data