Anyone concerned about risks to our family?

Former Member
Former Member
No matter what the CDC says about chlorine killing the virus, my family is very concerned about my return to the pool, due to those who spit, pee, sweat in the pool, and particularly the heavy breathing above the water by other swimmers. Not to mention that they don't 100% believe that chlorine kills the virus, since we are inundated with contradictory recommendations and cautions. Is anyone staying away from pools until it really is "safe" -- the cases don't rise significantly? I worry about being the carrier to my family, esp. my grandson, who I watch and adore. I admit, I'm concerned about safety above the water, no matter what precautions the pools say they are taking. I swam indoors and watched guards look the other way when people don't shower off before getting in, or spit in the pool, and I've seen worse that I won't share here.
Parents
  • With out continuing the mask controversy, (and I agree that people need to wear masks when appropriate) I'm still interested in how safe do fellow swimmers feel getting back into the pool, sharing a pool with people who could be carriers (or heaven forbid, ill), breathing heavily, maybe choking, spitting, passing one another in lanes? In my case, I feel safe, because I'm just about the only one around! The outdoor pool in my Sun City community has a two-lane lap swimming section that is off to the side. Most of the time, I have been the only one swimming. When another swimmer is in the pool, I make sure I stop on opposite ends from them, and I don't engage in conversation until one or both of us are out on deck and far enough apart. In the pool, though, the lanes are already "socially distanced" by design. I make sure to stop on the far side from the other swimmer, and I always breathe away from them on freestyle. Next week, the indoor pool is re-opening, and it's on a reservation system with a limit. Again, considering the steps they are taking, I feel safe. My mask will stay on until I get in the water, and it will return back on my face as soon as I'm finished rinsing off. For my post-swim dryland work, I will move back outside into the shade.
  • With out continuing the mask controversy, (and I agree that people need to wear masks when appropriate) I'm still interested in how safe do fellow swimmers feel getting back into the pool, sharing a pool with people who could be carriers (or heaven forbid, ill), breathing heavily, maybe choking, spitting, passing one another in lanes? In my case, I feel safe, because I'm just about the only one around! The outdoor pool in my Sun City community has a two-lane lap swimming section that is off to the side. Most of the time, I have been the only one swimming. When another swimmer is in the pool, I make sure I stop on opposite ends from them, and I don't engage in conversation until one or both of us are out on deck and far enough apart. In the pool, though, the lanes are already "socially distanced" by design. I make sure to stop on the far side from the other swimmer, and I always breathe away from them on freestyle. Next week, the indoor pool is re-opening, and it's on a reservation system with a limit. Again, considering the steps they are taking, I feel safe. My mask will stay on until I get in the water, and it will return back on my face as soon as I'm finished rinsing off. For my post-swim dryland work, I will move back outside into the shade.
Children
No Data