Anyone concerned about risks to our family?

Former Member
Former Member
No matter what the CDC says about chlorine killing the virus, my family is very concerned about my return to the pool, due to those who spit, pee, sweat in the pool, and particularly the heavy breathing above the water by other swimmers. Not to mention that they don't 100% believe that chlorine kills the virus, since we are inundated with contradictory recommendations and cautions. Is anyone staying away from pools until it really is "safe" -- the cases don't rise significantly? I worry about being the carrier to my family, esp. my grandson, who I watch and adore. I admit, I'm concerned about safety above the water, no matter what precautions the pools say they are taking. I swam indoors and watched guards look the other way when people don't shower off before getting in, or spit in the pool, and I've seen worse that I won't share here.
Parents
  • There are so many things to consider, everyone on here is going to have a different set of factors to consider. And one of those is risk tolerance. As someone mentioned above, driving in a car is a risk (FWIW, fatalities from accidents are typically in the 30-35,000 range per year for all age groups, so that would mean somewhere around 15,000 this year, doubtful 2/3 are from 24 and under). What risk is one willing to take with oneself for what activitiy? That is a personal decision. I'm 46, and my state has been minimally impacted. So I would consider myself low risk. But unfortunately, I live in an area where a large portion of the population thinks it is somewhere between the flu and a hoax (even MD's, one of whom wrote our school superintendent to tell him that the flu is more deadly for school age kids, among other statistically invalid claims). So I'm in an area where people don't respect the space of others. However, where I will be swimming is also in a county that has had only 48 cases, in a population of 75,000. My kids are 10, 15, and 15. My parents and in-laws live in another state, so I do not interface with high risk individuals, though my whole family is asthmatic. I actually trust the pools to be pretty capable of killing it, and quickly. I know people pee int he pools, and do all kinds of other crap. But the requirements fro the pools are set up to account for that. I'm inclined to think that as long as you can smell the chlorine, you are probably in an environment that is inhospitable to respiratory viruses. That said, my wife's great aunt in NJ died from it. I have two cousins around 40 who were incredibly sick from it, one thought he was going to die. But I also have a friend whose wife (also early 40's) was exposed (in medical field) and contracted it, but has been almost symptom free. So I know that it can be very, very serious. Honestly, in your case, I'm going to guess you are probably 15-20 years older than me. I would think that you would be much more prone to serious affects from the disease than your grandson, so I'd actually place the concern more from contracting it from him, rahter than giving it to him. But again, you will have to make this decision yourself. All of the inputs you have to make will be unique to you. And then only you can determine what your risk tolerance will be.
  • There are so many things to consider, everyone on here is going to have a different set of factors to consider. And one of those is risk tolerance. As someone mentioned above, driving in a car is a risk (FWIW, fatalities from accidents are typically in the 30-35,000 range per year for all age groups, so that would mean somewhere around 15,000 this year, doubtful 2/3 are from 24 and under). What risk is one willing to take with oneself for what activitiy? That is a personal decision. I'm 46, and my state has been minimally impacted. So I would consider myself low risk. But unfortunately, I live in an area where a large portion of the population thinks it is somewhere between the flu and a hoax (even MD's, one of whom wrote our school superintendent to tell him that the flu is more deadly for school age kids, among other statistically invalid claims). So I'm in an area where people don't respect the space of others. However, where I will be swimming is also in a county that has had only 48 cases, in a population of 75,000. My kids are 10, 15, and 15. My parents and in-laws live in another state, so I do not interface with high risk individuals, though my whole family is asthmatic. I actually trust the pools to be pretty capable of killing it, and quickly. I know people pee int he pools, and do all kinds of other crap. But the requirements fro the pools are set up to account for that. I'm inclined to think that as long as you can smell the chlorine, you are probably in an environment that is inhospitable to respiratory viruses. That said, my wife's great aunt in NJ died from it. I have two cousins around 40 who were incredibly sick from it, one thought he was going to die. But I also have a friend whose wife (also early 40's) was exposed (in medical field) and contracted it, but has been almost symptom free. So I know that it can be very, very serious. Honestly, in your case, I'm going to guess you are probably 15-20 years older than me. I would think that you would be much more prone to serious affects from the disease than your grandson, so I'd actually place the concern more from contracting it from him, rahter than giving it to him. But again, you will have to make this decision yourself. All of the inputs you have to make will be unique to you. And then only you can determine what your risk tolerance will be.
Children
No Data