Swimming Question, 400m in under 10 minutes possible?

Former Member
Former Member
Hi all my name is Joey and about a week from now I am taking a beach lifeguard test and the hardest thing by far is going to be the 400m swim in under ten minutes. I have been a pool lifeguard for four years and have had to do a 300m swim twice (one for initial testing and one for rectification). I have no benchmarks for time as the 300m pool swim I did was not timed and honestly I almost threw up both times after finishing it. I run competitively and my times are 17:15 for the 5k, 4:40 for the mile, and 55.xx for the 400m to give some perspective of my current fitness level. What can I do over the next several days to get ready for this test and how should I go about completing. Please not did any form of swimming since my pool lifeguard re certification test three years ago. Thanks!
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    Assuming you pass this test, I think it would be wise for you to work on your swimming proficiency. If a 300m swim nearly made you throw up, what would you do if you had to swim 300m, rescue a drowning victim and bring them back to shore? I'd want to be confident in my ability to make a rescue, not just get the job and hope for the best. California State beach lifeguards must complete an 8 day/80 hour training program. To be hired you must complete a 1000 yard open water swim in 20 minutes as well as a 200 yard run/400 yard swim/200 yard run within 10 minutes. Good luck!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    Assuming you pass this test, I think it would be wise for you to work on your swimming proficiency. If a 300m swim nearly made you throw up, what would you do if you had to swim 300m, rescue a drowning victim and bring them back to shore? I'd want to be confident in my ability to make a rescue, not just get the job and hope for the best. California State beach lifeguards must complete an 8 day/80 hour training program. To be hired you must complete a 1000 yard open water swim in 20 minutes as well as a 200 yard run/400 yard swim/200 yard run within 10 minutes. Good luck!
Children
No Data