When we return to swimming.

For me, it's now going on four weeks since my last swim. We were in Turks and Caicos March 7-14 for spring break where I was doing daily open-water swims along the beach. My last swim was a 3-miler on March 13. When we got back to the U.S., we had to go into mandated 14-day quarantine so I wasn't able to get out to go to the pool before they all closed. Who knows when I'll swim again...either open-water warming up (I live in RI), or pools opening again. I am maintaining fitness with bike rides, and a run here and there. And I know I there is other 'dry land' training I could be doing. But my concern when returning to the water is injuring myself because of doing TMTS. I'm just that kind of athlete. Raise you're hand if you think you're a candidate for a TMTS injury too. Dan
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    I've been cutting my own hair with clippers and a #4 for the past 6 or 7 years. It's a pretty boring look, but I no longer have to go in for a haircut every two weeks and no brushes or combs are required.
  • My last swim was also March 13th...along the beach in Turks and Caicos. That is...until a few days ago. I decided to get the home pool ready for opening a bit earlier than usual. Water level had to be topped off. So I uncovered it, and as it filled I did a static swim for 30 minutes. I've done a couple now. Just easing back into it after being off for nearly two months. Dan
  • Is that a typo? I've tried to look up him here but can't find a poster by that name. Probably operator error on my end, though. No typo, he is the race director for the Bridges to Bluffs swim and also manages a Knoxville Open Water Facebook group. They're probably able to swim in the river now.
  • I swam in a real pool today with lane ropes and a pace clock! Hopefully I will do an open water swim at the end of the week, if my appointment in Austin does not fall through. Our YMCA is planning on opening their pools, in some configuration, beginning on June 1 - still don't know what the allowed configuration will be for Masters workouts. Probably limited to 1 or 2 people per lane. I understand that other facilities in the area are also planning some type of limited opening of pools for swim workouts. It felt really great to get back in the water - hopefully more to come.
  • No typo, he is the race director for the Bridges to Bluffs swim and also manages a Knoxville Open Water Facebook group. They're probably able to swim in the river now. I"m not sure, Knox county had initially been more strict than the surrounding ones. But a new Executive Order opened up some facilities for "water sports" this weekend. That said, I sent a join request to the FB page last week.....no response. Filled out their contact form from their website I found this weekend, no response. YOu don't happen to have his contact info, or know what handle he uses here, do you?
  • I've opened our home pool a little earlier than in years past (live in southern RI), and I've been doing tethered swims in it. The water is at 55°F so obviously I'm wearing a wetsuit, booties, and gloves. There is a heater...and I may put that on soon. It would be wasted energy since I know none of the rest of the family will go in until it's closer to 80°. And usually...I never go in this damn pool (yet I'm the only one that does any of the upkeep). But after seven weeks off I need some swimming. Today I went for 49:00 minutes and will call that 1.75 miles. Temperature-wise I could probably go for a full hour and be OK. But after seven weeks off I'm slowly adding distance. I went from 0.5, 0.75, 1.00, 1.50, and now 1.75 miles. There's just a bit of shoulder soreness and I don't want to do TMTS. Dan
  • Today I went for 49:00 minutes and will call that 1.75 miles. Temperature-wise I could probably go for a full hour and be OK. But after seven weeks off I'm slowly adding distance. I went from 0.5, 0.75, 1.00, 1.50, and now 1.75 miles. There's just a bit of shoulder soreness and I don't want to do TMTS. Dan Dan - That's impressive. The most I was able to do with a tether was 30 minutes.
  • My local pool is opening on Monday!!! :banana: A few extra rules: There are a few extra rules... Open to Pool Pass Holders Only Lap Swimming Only 1 person per lane per hour Seating areas controlled for social distancing Swim Lessons and Aquatic Programming - Closed Restrooms - Open Showers - Closed No Rentals The hours are very generous: * Mon-Fri 5:30am-7pm * Sat 10am-6pm * Sun noon-6pm This pool is 8 lanes and 25 yards long. There's another pool (25m long), but only 6 lanes. It isn't heated, which might scare some people away (after swimming in a lake it wouldn't scare me though). Hours aren't quite as generous, 7-7 Mon-F, same on weekends, same rules. I figure I'll try them out next week and see how it goes. If it is a CF, I can always go back to the lake. (one pool is about 5 min from home, the other maybe 10, versus the lake which is close to 40)
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    My local pool is opening on Monday!!! :banana: A few extra rules: There are a few extra rules... Open to Pool Pass Holders Only Lap Swimming Only 1 person per lane per hour Seating areas controlled for social distancing Swim Lessons and Aquatic Programming - Closed Restrooms - Open Showers - Closed No Rentals The hours are very generous: * Mon-Fri 5:30am-7pm * Sat 10am-6pm * Sun noon-6pm This pool is 8 lanes and 25 yards long. There's another pool (25m long), but only 6 lanes. It isn't heated, which might scare some people away (after swimming in a lake it wouldn't scare me though). Hours aren't quite as generous, 7-7 Mon-F, same on weekends, same rules. I figure I'll try them out next week and see how it goes. If it is a CF, I can always go back to the lake. (one pool is about 5 min from home, the other maybe 10, versus the lake which is close to 40) Somewhere over the rainbow.....
  • My local pool is opening on Monday!!! ...1 person per lane per hour ... Do they have a reservation system in place?