When we return to swimming.

For me, it's now going on four weeks since my last swim. We were in Turks and Caicos March 7-14 for spring break where I was doing daily open-water swims along the beach. My last swim was a 3-miler on March 13. When we got back to the U.S., we had to go into mandated 14-day quarantine so I wasn't able to get out to go to the pool before they all closed. Who knows when I'll swim again...either open-water warming up (I live in RI), or pools opening again. I am maintaining fitness with bike rides, and a run here and there. And I know I there is other 'dry land' training I could be doing. But my concern when returning to the water is injuring myself because of doing TMTS. I'm just that kind of athlete. Raise you're hand if you think you're a candidate for a TMTS injury too. Dan
  • My last swim was one month ago today, on March 13th. It was three miles along the beach at Grace Bay, Providenciales, Turks and Caicos Islands. Training for more frequent, longer open water swims and races...at that point I was well on pace for this to be my highest mileage year. I was already about 25% ahead of my next highest mileage year. Now...I'm behind about 20% (and counting). Dan
  • I have many friends who do well with a mix of both. Generally run 2-3 days a week and swim 3-4 days a week and vary their day off using the weather and pool availability. I think the mix helps avoid the repetitive injuries for each sport. Right now I am jealous of my running friends. Can't wait till the weather gets warmer for kayaking. Now there's a sport that uses the same upper body muscles as swimming.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    Me too - March 13th was the last swim. I started swimming in February 2019 after quitting running. Three days ago, in an act of desperation and craziness, I did a 400m test jog. Yesterday I did a 10min test jog. Today I did a 10min test jog. My body is in shock from not doing this for 15 months, but there was no major "injury" issues. ie No knee swelling or pain afterwards. I have no idea were this little experiment will end up, but I know this: Having to quit swimming for at least a few weeks, and possibly for a few months, really bothers me, and it might be the end of swimming for me.
  • 6 weeks dry and I am getting stiff in the wrong areas.
  • Aside from the physicl workouts, I miss the friendship of my teammates!
  • Former Member
    Yeah, maybe my new modus operandi will be a run and/or a swim daily. We are slaves to pool availability. That lack of control really gets to me.
  • Last real workout was December 31st, 2019. Gall Bladder and Umbilical Surgery on January 15th. (Yep, 2 for 1):toohurt: So, I've been out of the water for 12 weeks & 6 days as of today. :drown: I still taken an occasional shower so I know what water feels like. That's something, right?:woot:
  • Former Member
    Last real workout was December 31st, 2019. Gall Bladder and Umbilical Surgery on January 15th. . :drown: Oh, man. You know how to have fun.
  • Former Member
    Today was swimming with a kayak experiment day... and it worked! The swim route was actually around the peninsula. Turns out the kayak doesnâ€Tmt drag too much in the water, and if you get too cold, just climb in and kayak back! Paying more attention to things in the water like docks is important. You can put them in a swim buoy, for example
  • Former Member
    I keep dreaming about swimming. Does that give me any benefit?