When we return to swimming.

For me, it's now going on four weeks since my last swim. We were in Turks and Caicos March 7-14 for spring break where I was doing daily open-water swims along the beach. My last swim was a 3-miler on March 13. When we got back to the U.S., we had to go into mandated 14-day quarantine so I wasn't able to get out to go to the pool before they all closed. Who knows when I'll swim again...either open-water warming up (I live in RI), or pools opening again. I am maintaining fitness with bike rides, and a run here and there. And I know I there is other 'dry land' training I could be doing. But my concern when returning to the water is injuring myself because of doing TMTS. I'm just that kind of athlete. Raise you're hand if you think you're a candidate for a TMTS injury too. Dan
  • ...Today I covered around 1000m total. I use strokes for measurement. I seem to recall that in the 25m pool, I was often 10.5 full cycles with a pushoff. That's 21 half cycles (or hand entries....both arms). So maybe that would be near 25 half cycles without a pushoff? So, in the lake, I assume each half cycle (or hand entry) is a meter. But I count breaths, which for me is always 3 half cycles. So...100m in the lake? 34 breaths!! (Always round up.) Right? :)I'd highly recommend a Garmin Swim 2 watch and it will track your distancein both OW and pool
  • I'd highly recommend a Garmin Swim 2 watch and it will track your distancein both OW and pool Love mine, but I'm still trying to figure out how to set it up so I can show my interval timer and my heart rate at the same time. But for open waters, so far it has been great! Bonus is I can use it for biking and running (until I get access to a pool, again). I actually was able to set it up for the weird 100M outdoor pool I swam in earlier this week.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    Appreciate the Garmin recommendations, but: a) I am a luddite. b) I hate the feeling of anything on my wrist as I swim.
  • Appreciate the Garmin recommendations, but: a) I am a luddite. b) I hate the feeling of anything on my wrist as I swim.Trust me, while I'm not a complete Luddite, I go very light when it comes to technology, and extremely light for swim technology. Other than a suit, goggles and a pace clock, the only piece of swim tech I typically use in the pool is a snorkle; occasionally fins to work on my dolphin kick. No paddles, no buoy, no kickboard, no tether cords, nothing else. Also, I really don't like watches at all. I don't even wear one on land. And, I have actively avoided them in the water for precisely your reason #2 ... but, when the pool closure thanks to COVID meant my only ability to swim was open water, I bit the bullet and bought the Garmin Swim 2. I've been singularly impressed with how much it does not bother me when I swim.
  • Trust me, while I'm not a complete Luddite, I go very light when it comes to technology, and extremely light for swim technology. Other than a suit, goggles and a pace clock, the only piece of swim tech I typically use in the pool is a snorkle; occasionally fins to work on my dolphin kick. No paddles, no buoy, no kickboard, no tether cords, nothing else. Also, I really don't like watches at all. I don't even wear one on land. And, I have actively avoided them in the water for precisely your reason #2 ... but, when the pool closure thanks to COVID meant my only ability to swim was open water, I bit the bullet and bought the Garmin Swim 2. I've been singularly impressed with how much it does not bother me when I swim. That is almost exactly my scenario. Since i don't have a pace clock, I have used a Timex Ironman to help with intervals, and a lap counter (finger attached thing). That's it. But when I had to switch to open water, and started thinking about a 10K in September, I thought it might be wise to eliminate any guessing. I'm so ingrained with what I do in the pool that I found it hard to resolve how much different, and how much SLOWER open water is. A mile in the pool? 1:22 100's. Open water? 1:40's are really fast. So yeah, the watch is helpful in making sure I don't underestimate what I'm doing.
  • Former Member
    I couldn't help but laugh as I swam in Comox Lake about 2 hours ago. It got windy, and the water was very choppy, with a significant current. I swim along a shoreline, out and back. Going out, I was hardly moving. Coming back, I was flying. I believe that "100m" out was really about 75m ground-distance, while "100m" back was maybe 125m ground-distance. But hey, water-distance is what matters, and I enjoyed a 1200m ish session. This was my 5th lake session over the last 7 days. It is so good to be doing this again. I appreciate the advice above, regarding technology.
  • I couldn't help but laugh as I swam in Comox Lake about 2 hours ago. It got windy, and the water was very choppy, with a significant current. I swim along a shoreline, out and back. Going out, I was hardly moving. Coming back, I was flying. I believe that "100m" out was really about 75m ground-distance, while "100m" back was maybe 125m ground-distance. But hey, water-distance is what matters, and I enjoyed a 1200m ish session. This was my 5th lake session over the last 7 days. It is so good to be doing this again. I appreciate the advice above, regarding technology. Current is a funny thing. Did a there and back, 2600 yards. Pace there was about 2:40-2:45 per 100. Back was 1:05-1:10.
  • Former Member
    Current is a funny thing. Did a there and back, 2600 yards. Pace there was about 2:40-2:45 per 100. Back was 1:05-1:10. I bet your "water speed" was 1:52-1:57.
  • Current is a funny thing. Did a there and back, 2600 yards. Pace there was about 2:40-2:45 per 100. Back was 1:05-1:10. That reminds me... I wonder how many Endless Pools have been sold since March 13th compared to the same period last year? I'm sure business is booming!
  • I rented a car to go visit my father . I'm in Pittsburgh, He's in Arlington, VA. I should be able to find a lake in the mountains. Yay! I'll report how it goes.Good luck ... maybe you can swim in Big Pool, Maryland - www.riverexplorer.com/details.php