When we return to swimming.

For me, it's now going on four weeks since my last swim. We were in Turks and Caicos March 7-14 for spring break where I was doing daily open-water swims along the beach. My last swim was a 3-miler on March 13. When we got back to the U.S., we had to go into mandated 14-day quarantine so I wasn't able to get out to go to the pool before they all closed. Who knows when I'll swim again...either open-water warming up (I live in RI), or pools opening again. I am maintaining fitness with bike rides, and a run here and there. And I know I there is other 'dry land' training I could be doing. But my concern when returning to the water is injuring myself because of doing TMTS. I'm just that kind of athlete. Raise you're hand if you think you're a candidate for a TMTS injury too. Dan
  • Our community outdoor pool opened up last Saturday, and I have been in every day. It has been great! The water temp has been a perfect 78 degrees when the pool opens at 8 am, and I haven't had a problem getting one of the 2 lanes. (They were going to let only one swimmer in the two lap lanes; however, they decided to open up both lanes.) The nicest surprise was the validation that my Theraband and stretch chord work, push-ups, yoga, stretching, and other dryland really payed off while I was out of the water for eleven weeks. Although I am not doing any race-pace yet, I haven't had any muscle soreness, even after swimming 300 yards of fly (of the 1800 yards I swam) on my first day. Since then, I have been gradually increasing my yardage and intensity. The best part? Just being in the water :ohyeah:, especially after all that has been going on. It has been great mental and emotional therapy, in addition to the physical benefits.[/QUOTE Great news about your return. How do you feel about your various physical issues after the layoff? 300 yds of fly incredible?
  • I just had the Bursae sac removed from my right elbow as it has been drained 3 times and will continue to do so,I am told. Since we can't swim now, this seemed like a good time to have minor surgery.. Maybe this will help me when I age up for 2021 SC Nationals?
  • Where there's a will (to swim), there's a way. This was a fun read about swimming in Sports Illustrated:www.si.com/.../olympic-swimmers-without-water-coronavirus
  • I just had the Bursae sac removed from my right elbow Recover well. If it was aggravating prior to surgery, having it removed can only help the swimming
  • i hope it does help. Thanx Steve.
  • Great news about your return. How do you feel about your various physical issues after the layoff? 300 yds of fly incredible? Sorry I missed your message earlier! I guess I scrolled down through the thread to fast before posting my last message. Anyway, thanks, Dan! Some of the physical issues I have are things I will have to live with the rest of my life, so nothing has changed there. I do, however, feel really good about the dryland work I did during the eleven weeks off. It really paid off! I have increased my intensity and/or yardage each day over this past week, and I am feeling great! My fly feels just as strong as before, even if it's slow. (I haven't used my watch all week, and I don't intend on timing myself at race pace for awhile.) My legs also feel strong from all of the hill-walking I did every single day I was out of the pool. (Even in the rain with an umbrella!) Our outdoor pool is heating up, though; it was 83 degrees this morning instead of the perfect 78 last Saturday. If it keeps warming up, my heat intolerance issues will kick in, and I will have to back down the intensity. Fortunately, I just heard today that our indoor pool is re-opening in two weeks. :bliss:
  • No word from our local pool as ro opening date ------ I'm waiting.
  • My county just announced that due to the increase in the number of Covid cases since going into Pase 1, they will delay going into phase 2. Phase 2 is when the pools can open.
  • my state just opened outdoor pools, but no date for indoor pools. I'm lucky to be able to swim in the ocean this time of year.
  • How will they hire life guards? Will they be checked as we will for Covid19?