When we return to swimming.

For me, it's now going on four weeks since my last swim. We were in Turks and Caicos March 7-14 for spring break where I was doing daily open-water swims along the beach. My last swim was a 3-miler on March 13. When we got back to the U.S., we had to go into mandated 14-day quarantine so I wasn't able to get out to go to the pool before they all closed. Who knows when I'll swim again...either open-water warming up (I live in RI), or pools opening again. I am maintaining fitness with bike rides, and a run here and there. And I know I there is other 'dry land' training I could be doing. But my concern when returning to the water is injuring myself because of doing TMTS. I'm just that kind of athlete. Raise you're hand if you think you're a candidate for a TMTS injury too. Dan
Parents
  • I had opened our home pool the first week of May...about three weeks earlier than the usual last week of May (coastal RI is too chilly for outdoor swimming until then). I've done several tethered swims in it up to just over an hour long. Which in and of itself is odd because I almost never go in the home pool...yet I'm the only one who does any of the cleaning/care/upkeep of it. There are complete summers where I never went in it once. This year...I've probably spent more time in it than I have in all other years combined since we've lived in this house (nine years). I'm just not a backyard pool kind of guy. Still had to wear a wetsuit as the water temp was still only 60°F...until the heater got it up to mid 70s. Then finally two days ago (on 27 May) I went down to my local beach for an open water swim. The water there is still at 60°. I made the mistake of wearing my sleeveless wetsuit. I intended to swim a full two miles...but my exposed arms got too cold, which eventually caused my whole body to get cold. Had to get out at just over 1.5 miles. Next swim I'll wear the long sleeve wetsuit. Won't be able to go wetsuit-less for another few weeks at least. Dan
  • I had opened our home pool the first week of May...about three weeks earlier than the usual last week of May (coastal RI is too chilly for outdoor swimming until then). I've done several tethered swims in it up to just over an hour long. Which in and of itself is odd because I almost never go in the home pool...yet I'm the only one who does any of the cleaning/care/upkeep of it. There are complete summers where I never went in it once. This year...I've probably spent more time in it than I have in all other years combined since we've lived in this house (nine years). I'm just not a backyard pool kind of guy. Still had to wear a wetsuit as the water temp was still only 60°F...until the heater got it up to mid 70s. Then finally two days ago (on 27 May) I went down to my local beach for an open water swim. The water there is still at 60°. I made the mistake of wearing my sleeveless wetsuit. I intended to swim a full two miles...but my exposed arms got too cold, which eventually caused my whole body to get cold. Had to get out at just over 1.5 miles. Next swim I'll wear the long sleeve wetsuit. Won't be able to go wetsuit-less for another few weeks at least. Dan
Children
No Data