When we return to swimming.

For me, it's now going on four weeks since my last swim. We were in Turks and Caicos March 7-14 for spring break where I was doing daily open-water swims along the beach. My last swim was a 3-miler on March 13. When we got back to the U.S., we had to go into mandated 14-day quarantine so I wasn't able to get out to go to the pool before they all closed. Who knows when I'll swim again...either open-water warming up (I live in RI), or pools opening again. I am maintaining fitness with bike rides, and a run here and there. And I know I there is other 'dry land' training I could be doing. But my concern when returning to the water is injuring myself because of doing TMTS. I'm just that kind of athlete. Raise you're hand if you think you're a candidate for a TMTS injury too. Dan
Parents
  • Before all the closures began, I swam at the YMCA pool. They are opening their cardio and weights areas on May 26, but they have not committed to opening the pool. In addition, they announced that when the pool does re-open, they will no longer support a Masters program. :( This leaves me wondering what to do. The Y has the nicest competition pool in the area, in the state as a matter of fact. We have been told by the aquatics director that if we want to have lanes for un-coached group workouts that we have to pay per lane per hour on top of our membership dues. In other words, they are not being at all accommodating to Masters. A local health club chain reopened yesterday. Some of their locations have pools, not nearly as nice as the Y's, but pools. I can't decide what to do... Wait another month to see if the Y decides to open their pool, or just join the health club? Ugh. As long as the weather stays decent, I guess that I'll keep working on my flip turns in my parents' 13yd backyard pool. kristilynn - Our YMCA has an entirely different outlook on Masters swimming. Here is the text of an email they sent last week: Welcome Back Masters We are excited to announce that Masters swim will be one of the first programs to resume on June 1st as the Y opens. The Y is excited to welcome back our Masters program starting June 1st in the outdoor pool. As we work to abide by health regulations, our program will look a little differently following safety guidelines from the CDC and YMCA policy. Jacky Yen will be our new coach and will introduce herself soon followed with more detailed information on the masters schedule and regulations. See more details on the YMCA reopen below: The Masters program at our Y has been very robust over the last 15 years and the director makes the program a priority. It is a shame that there is not a nationwide emphasis on masters programs.
  • Before all the closures began, I swam at the YMCA pool. They are opening their cardio and weights areas on May 26, but they have not committed to opening the pool. In addition, they announced that when the pool does re-open, they will no longer support a Masters program. :( This leaves me wondering what to do. The Y has the nicest competition pool in the area, in the state as a matter of fact. We have been told by the aquatics director that if we want to have lanes for un-coached group workouts that we have to pay per lane per hour on top of our membership dues. In other words, they are not being at all accommodating to Masters. A local health club chain reopened yesterday. Some of their locations have pools, not nearly as nice as the Y's, but pools. I can't decide what to do... Wait another month to see if the Y decides to open their pool, or just join the health club? Ugh. As long as the weather stays decent, I guess that I'll keep working on my flip turns in my parents' 13yd backyard pool. kristilynn - Our YMCA has an entirely different outlook on Masters swimming. Here is the text of an email they sent last week: Welcome Back Masters We are excited to announce that Masters swim will be one of the first programs to resume on June 1st as the Y opens. The Y is excited to welcome back our Masters program starting June 1st in the outdoor pool. As we work to abide by health regulations, our program will look a little differently following safety guidelines from the CDC and YMCA policy. Jacky Yen will be our new coach and will introduce herself soon followed with more detailed information on the masters schedule and regulations. See more details on the YMCA reopen below: The Masters program at our Y has been very robust over the last 15 years and the director makes the program a priority. It is a shame that there is not a nationwide emphasis on masters programs.
Children
No Data