When we return to swimming.

For me, it's now going on four weeks since my last swim. We were in Turks and Caicos March 7-14 for spring break where I was doing daily open-water swims along the beach. My last swim was a 3-miler on March 13. When we got back to the U.S., we had to go into mandated 14-day quarantine so I wasn't able to get out to go to the pool before they all closed. Who knows when I'll swim again...either open-water warming up (I live in RI), or pools opening again. I am maintaining fitness with bike rides, and a run here and there. And I know I there is other 'dry land' training I could be doing. But my concern when returning to the water is injuring myself because of doing TMTS. I'm just that kind of athlete. Raise you're hand if you think you're a candidate for a TMTS injury too. Dan
Parents
  • The problem as I see it is that the CDC is talking about the virus being spread via the water. People are taking that to mean that if you are in the water you won't contract the virus from nearby persons who are shedding virus. These are two very different things, in my mind. If you knew that you were going to be sharing a lane with a person who was shedding virus, would you still get in the pool? Would you send your kid into that situation? I'm not trying to be inflammatory, just trying to divulge how confident people truly are in extrapolating from the CDC's proclamation that the chlorine present in the water will protect them from inhalation of virus. I absolutely agree with you, and I guess our community's HOA manager does as well. Our outdoor pool is going to open as part of Phase 1 of our three phases of reopening the amenities. The indoor pool and gym will be opened in the last phase. I would feel much safer swimming in an outdoor pool rather than indoors. The lap section of our pool is only two lanes wide; however, they are only going to permit one swimmer to be in that section at a time. Since we don't have a lot of lap swimmers in our community, I don't think it will be too much of a problem. If somebody else comes, and my time is up, I will move to a quiet section of the main pool and do drill work, or I will go outside of the gate to the grass area and do dryland work until the lap lane opens back up. At this point, I have been out of the pool since March 13, and I am anxious to swim! I am not anxious enough, however, to risk my health. I am fortunate I live in a private community with our own pool!
  • The problem as I see it is that the CDC is talking about the virus being spread via the water. People are taking that to mean that if you are in the water you won't contract the virus from nearby persons who are shedding virus. These are two very different things, in my mind. If you knew that you were going to be sharing a lane with a person who was shedding virus, would you still get in the pool? Would you send your kid into that situation? I'm not trying to be inflammatory, just trying to divulge how confident people truly are in extrapolating from the CDC's proclamation that the chlorine present in the water will protect them from inhalation of virus. I absolutely agree with you, and I guess our community's HOA manager does as well. Our outdoor pool is going to open as part of Phase 1 of our three phases of reopening the amenities. The indoor pool and gym will be opened in the last phase. I would feel much safer swimming in an outdoor pool rather than indoors. The lap section of our pool is only two lanes wide; however, they are only going to permit one swimmer to be in that section at a time. Since we don't have a lot of lap swimmers in our community, I don't think it will be too much of a problem. If somebody else comes, and my time is up, I will move to a quiet section of the main pool and do drill work, or I will go outside of the gate to the grass area and do dryland work until the lap lane opens back up. At this point, I have been out of the pool since March 13, and I am anxious to swim! I am not anxious enough, however, to risk my health. I am fortunate I live in a private community with our own pool!
Children
No Data