When we return to swimming.

For me, it's now going on four weeks since my last swim. We were in Turks and Caicos March 7-14 for spring break where I was doing daily open-water swims along the beach. My last swim was a 3-miler on March 13. When we got back to the U.S., we had to go into mandated 14-day quarantine so I wasn't able to get out to go to the pool before they all closed. Who knows when I'll swim again...either open-water warming up (I live in RI), or pools opening again. I am maintaining fitness with bike rides, and a run here and there. And I know I there is other 'dry land' training I could be doing. But my concern when returning to the water is injuring myself because of doing TMTS. I'm just that kind of athlete. Raise you're hand if you think you're a candidate for a TMTS injury too. Dan
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    That is one of the ones that has been shared. It is a few weeks old. You'd think it would be enough, of course in conjunction with showing the directives from our governor, as well as showing them that several other teams around us are training. But alas, it is not. Was hoping that there was a CDC report I could reference that was worded as definitively as Michael stated. The most strongly worded release from the CDC I can find, dated April 23rd, reads: "There is no evidence that the virus that causes COVID-19 can be spread to people through the water in pools, hot tubs, spas, or water play areas. Proper operation and maintenance (including disinfection with chlorine and bromine) of these facilities should inactivate the virus in the water." Which is pretty strong, but it only shows that there is no evidence it can spread, rather than stating there is evidence that it cannot. Two very different things, scientifically, anyway. That is from a pull down tab from this site: www.cdc.gov/.../water.html The problem as I see it is that the CDC is talking about the virus being spread via the water. People are taking that to mean that if you are in the water you won't contract the virus from nearby persons who are shedding virus. These are two very different things, in my mind. If you knew that you were going to be sharing a lane with a person who was shedding virus, would you still get in the pool? Would you send your kid into that situation? I'm not trying to be inflammatory, just trying to divulge how confident people truly are in extrapolating from the CDC's proclamation that the chlorine present in the water will protect them from inhalation of virus.
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    That is one of the ones that has been shared. It is a few weeks old. You'd think it would be enough, of course in conjunction with showing the directives from our governor, as well as showing them that several other teams around us are training. But alas, it is not. Was hoping that there was a CDC report I could reference that was worded as definitively as Michael stated. The most strongly worded release from the CDC I can find, dated April 23rd, reads: "There is no evidence that the virus that causes COVID-19 can be spread to people through the water in pools, hot tubs, spas, or water play areas. Proper operation and maintenance (including disinfection with chlorine and bromine) of these facilities should inactivate the virus in the water." Which is pretty strong, but it only shows that there is no evidence it can spread, rather than stating there is evidence that it cannot. Two very different things, scientifically, anyway. That is from a pull down tab from this site: www.cdc.gov/.../water.html The problem as I see it is that the CDC is talking about the virus being spread via the water. People are taking that to mean that if you are in the water you won't contract the virus from nearby persons who are shedding virus. These are two very different things, in my mind. If you knew that you were going to be sharing a lane with a person who was shedding virus, would you still get in the pool? Would you send your kid into that situation? I'm not trying to be inflammatory, just trying to divulge how confident people truly are in extrapolating from the CDC's proclamation that the chlorine present in the water will protect them from inhalation of virus.
Children
No Data