When we return to swimming.

For me, it's now going on four weeks since my last swim. We were in Turks and Caicos March 7-14 for spring break where I was doing daily open-water swims along the beach. My last swim was a 3-miler on March 13. When we got back to the U.S., we had to go into mandated 14-day quarantine so I wasn't able to get out to go to the pool before they all closed. Who knows when I'll swim again...either open-water warming up (I live in RI), or pools opening again. I am maintaining fitness with bike rides, and a run here and there. And I know I there is other 'dry land' training I could be doing. But my concern when returning to the water is injuring myself because of doing TMTS. I'm just that kind of athlete. Raise you're hand if you think you're a candidate for a TMTS injury too. Dan
Parents
  • In our gym, it seems that a blanket rule has to be made, b/c lifeguards are young, intimidated by enforcing rules, and don't last long. They can't handle "exceptions." I worked in State government and am used to a division wide mandate for all b/c of a few slackers. In our gym, there are only 2 guards to watch the therapy pool, hot tub and lap pool. I can't wait to see how they keep track of each swimmer's time slot. I'm sure that's the issue. They had to put a blanket rule of, "one hour," because some people may float around, dog paddle, or whatever, and they don't want them in lanes, possibly 2-3 lanes in a row and congregating. It is silly, but I'm probably the only one who even swims more than an hour. Most people yesterday and today swam 20-30 minutes (if they hadn't swum in 2 months it will take time to build back up). So today I did it. I did an hour at the first pool, got out. I was the only one in the 8-lane pool, so the whole thing was empty when I got out. Then I drove over to the other (SCM) pool. One of the lifeguards recognized me and asked if I just came from the other pool, but the rule allows it (he laughed and evidently told all the lifeguards there). There were 3 of us in pool #2 while I swam (the other 2 were a married couple and they finished about 10 min before i did). I swam about 50 min at that pool When I got out and was leaving a lifeguard asked if I was going back to pool #1. I laughed and told him I had to work, but maybe on a weekend ;)
  • In our gym, it seems that a blanket rule has to be made, b/c lifeguards are young, intimidated by enforcing rules, and don't last long. They can't handle "exceptions." I worked in State government and am used to a division wide mandate for all b/c of a few slackers. In our gym, there are only 2 guards to watch the therapy pool, hot tub and lap pool. I can't wait to see how they keep track of each swimmer's time slot. I'm sure that's the issue. They had to put a blanket rule of, "one hour," because some people may float around, dog paddle, or whatever, and they don't want them in lanes, possibly 2-3 lanes in a row and congregating. It is silly, but I'm probably the only one who even swims more than an hour. Most people yesterday and today swam 20-30 minutes (if they hadn't swum in 2 months it will take time to build back up). So today I did it. I did an hour at the first pool, got out. I was the only one in the 8-lane pool, so the whole thing was empty when I got out. Then I drove over to the other (SCM) pool. One of the lifeguards recognized me and asked if I just came from the other pool, but the rule allows it (he laughed and evidently told all the lifeguards there). There were 3 of us in pool #2 while I swam (the other 2 were a married couple and they finished about 10 min before i did). I swam about 50 min at that pool When I got out and was leaving a lifeguard asked if I was going back to pool #1. I laughed and told him I had to work, but maybe on a weekend ;)
Children
No Data