When we return to swimming.

For me, it's now going on four weeks since my last swim. We were in Turks and Caicos March 7-14 for spring break where I was doing daily open-water swims along the beach. My last swim was a 3-miler on March 13. When we got back to the U.S., we had to go into mandated 14-day quarantine so I wasn't able to get out to go to the pool before they all closed. Who knows when I'll swim again...either open-water warming up (I live in RI), or pools opening again. I am maintaining fitness with bike rides, and a run here and there. And I know I there is other 'dry land' training I could be doing. But my concern when returning to the water is injuring myself because of doing TMTS. I'm just that kind of athlete. Raise you're hand if you think you're a candidate for a TMTS injury too. Dan
Parents
  • Open water season is about over here in AZ... getting too stinking hot. While I appreciate the hope expressed in this thread, if we are truly committed to womb to the tomb safety, I'm not sure how we ever get back to swimming. As elderly swimmers, we are going to always be "at risk". How do we get 2000 people together for Nationals again? Who decides when it's safe and on what evidence? If it isn't safe now in a chlorinated pool, why will it be safe in 2 months? So depressing... I lived in AZ for 20 years and I remember how warm the water would get. Usually by Memorial Day it was already in the 80s. A few times I parked at Butcher Jones and did a swim-bike-swim, sometimes with some friends. They would wear wetsuits and still complain about cold water (in April!) I'm not really sure how things will progress with getting back to somewhat normal. I agree with scyfreestyler, that the main concern is getting people to/from events, and what they are doing when not swimming. As an o/w swimmer, I'm finding that to be one of the safest things to do right now, so long as I don't get run over by a boat :afraid: Eventually someone will need to decide if events will continue or not, and if they will how to do it somewhat safely. The annual USMS convention will be held virtually this year. We'll see how that goes. Unfortunately, you can't do that with a meet. And even having 'virtual races' there are so many different conditions from pool to pool that it wouldn't be a level playground (even more when you include open water).
  • Open water season is about over here in AZ... getting too stinking hot. While I appreciate the hope expressed in this thread, if we are truly committed to womb to the tomb safety, I'm not sure how we ever get back to swimming. As elderly swimmers, we are going to always be "at risk". How do we get 2000 people together for Nationals again? Who decides when it's safe and on what evidence? If it isn't safe now in a chlorinated pool, why will it be safe in 2 months? So depressing... I lived in AZ for 20 years and I remember how warm the water would get. Usually by Memorial Day it was already in the 80s. A few times I parked at Butcher Jones and did a swim-bike-swim, sometimes with some friends. They would wear wetsuits and still complain about cold water (in April!) I'm not really sure how things will progress with getting back to somewhat normal. I agree with scyfreestyler, that the main concern is getting people to/from events, and what they are doing when not swimming. As an o/w swimmer, I'm finding that to be one of the safest things to do right now, so long as I don't get run over by a boat :afraid: Eventually someone will need to decide if events will continue or not, and if they will how to do it somewhat safely. The annual USMS convention will be held virtually this year. We'll see how that goes. Unfortunately, you can't do that with a meet. And even having 'virtual races' there are so many different conditions from pool to pool that it wouldn't be a level playground (even more when you include open water).
Children
No Data