When we return to swimming.

For me, it's now going on four weeks since my last swim. We were in Turks and Caicos March 7-14 for spring break where I was doing daily open-water swims along the beach. My last swim was a 3-miler on March 13. When we got back to the U.S., we had to go into mandated 14-day quarantine so I wasn't able to get out to go to the pool before they all closed. Who knows when I'll swim again...either open-water warming up (I live in RI), or pools opening again. I am maintaining fitness with bike rides, and a run here and there. And I know I there is other 'dry land' training I could be doing. But my concern when returning to the water is injuring myself because of doing TMTS. I'm just that kind of athlete. Raise you're hand if you think you're a candidate for a TMTS injury too. Dan
Parents
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    I live in Pittsburgh. I ride a bicycle for my main transportation. Sometimes rent cars. 9Usually I have a choice of urban pools, but not now. The good swim lakes are all about 60 miles from where I live. I'm not an athletic bicyclist. So, I'm starting to think with excitiment (and justified trepidation), about swimming in the rivers. I use to do that once a week with the triathletes, but it was sometimes daunting. Probably unwise. I could probably figure out healthy river habits, though. It would require that I become very knowledgeable about water cleanliness (or lack thereof) - day to day, over all, from mile to mile. I'd also have to know about currents, water temp, water/shore access a d a whole bunch of other stuff that I could only guess at. A few miles from me, there's a small river called the Youghiegheny. The bicycle trails from Pittsburgh to Washgington DC, follow this river 70 miles, past the semi-famous Ohiopyle Rapids rafting/kayaking stretch. I've biked the whole trail a few times, so I've pushed up past the stream and chased the water down it, too. Far enough up, it's as clean as it gets, but I don't know how far that is. I haven't camped for years, but I might start soon. Stay one night, swim two days. For dryland cold-water training how do I do that? Cold showers? Sleeping without blankets?
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    I live in Pittsburgh. I ride a bicycle for my main transportation. Sometimes rent cars. 9Usually I have a choice of urban pools, but not now. The good swim lakes are all about 60 miles from where I live. I'm not an athletic bicyclist. So, I'm starting to think with excitiment (and justified trepidation), about swimming in the rivers. I use to do that once a week with the triathletes, but it was sometimes daunting. Probably unwise. I could probably figure out healthy river habits, though. It would require that I become very knowledgeable about water cleanliness (or lack thereof) - day to day, over all, from mile to mile. I'd also have to know about currents, water temp, water/shore access a d a whole bunch of other stuff that I could only guess at. A few miles from me, there's a small river called the Youghiegheny. The bicycle trails from Pittsburgh to Washgington DC, follow this river 70 miles, past the semi-famous Ohiopyle Rapids rafting/kayaking stretch. I've biked the whole trail a few times, so I've pushed up past the stream and chased the water down it, too. Far enough up, it's as clean as it gets, but I don't know how far that is. I haven't camped for years, but I might start soon. Stay one night, swim two days. For dryland cold-water training how do I do that? Cold showers? Sleeping without blankets?
Children
No Data