Training after 65

I have been competing in Masters since I turned 25 in 1974, self coached the whole time. From age 35 to 62 I was slowing down very slowly. I started slowing down more rapidly at 63, but it wasn't until age 69 that aging(and injuries)were noticeably affecting my training. I need more rest and more recovery time now. There is precious little information on training at a high level after age 70.What experience, either personally or as a coach, do you forumites have with this age group? One accomadation I am making now is to take my pulse regularly during workouts and pausing a set to let it get down to 130 before proceeding. This seems to help. Noteably, depending on the equation, my maximum heart rate should be 150-160, but I can easily get to 180 with sprints (I enjoy sprints and swimming fast, that is what I find fun.Long slow swims are intolerably boring for me.) Again, what has worked for others over age 70?
Parents
  • Hi Allen, if you are going to be in hood River for the Association meet, Let's sit and chat. Far too long with too many variables to post here. Will offer my thoughts in person. I will be helping is some manner - probably officiating. paul
  • Hi Allen, if you are going to be in hood River for the Association meet, Let's sit and chat. Far too long with too many variables to post here. Will offer my thoughts in person. I will be helping is some manner - probably officiating. paul
Children
No Data