wet suits

Former Member
Former Member
looking for suggestions for best wet suit for training in 50 degree swimming pool. probably prefer front zipper or no zipper. is it necessary to get one with a hood too? thank you train every day but never in a wet suit
Parents
  • Regarding the front zipper...I'd say no. Although I've never used a front-zippered suit...every wetsuit I've ever owned has had the zipper in the back...I can imagine the zipper on front would be less comfortable. But, I have seen other open-water swimmers use front zipping wetsuits. If you do go with a front zippered suit...I'd suggest wearing a liner so that chest hair doesn't get zipped in, or otherwise tangles in the the zipper while swimming. That can and will happen as the zipper/suit is flexed...in a turn for example. I don't have back hair...other than a thin patch in the small of my back. If I don't wear a liner I do feel it tangle in the zipper occassionally. Regarding the hood...You might need one. HOWEVER...there are seperate hoods you can get to use with a non-hooded wetsuit. I'd go that route so that the suit can be used in warmer situations without the hood. If you get in the water with the non-hooded suit on and you get an "ice cream headache"...you'll want the hood. There are also neoprene swim caps you can get that may do the job. In some cases just a thicker, or a second swim cap will do. The need for a hood, and the thickness of the suit you get kind of also depends on how long you intend to be in the water. You may also find that you want/need neoprene booties and gloves. Unless this is an outdoor pool...just wondering why it's at 50°F. Dan
  • Regarding the front zipper...I'd say no. Although I've never used a front-zippered suit...every wetsuit I've ever owned has had the zipper in the back...I can imagine the zipper on front would be less comfortable. But, I have seen other open-water swimmers use front zipping wetsuits. If you do go with a front zippered suit...I'd suggest wearing a liner so that chest hair doesn't get zipped in, or otherwise tangles in the the zipper while swimming. That can and will happen as the zipper/suit is flexed...in a turn for example. I don't have back hair...other than a thin patch in the small of my back. If I don't wear a liner I do feel it tangle in the zipper occassionally. Regarding the hood...You might need one. HOWEVER...there are seperate hoods you can get to use with a non-hooded wetsuit. I'd go that route so that the suit can be used in warmer situations without the hood. If you get in the water with the non-hooded suit on and you get an "ice cream headache"...you'll want the hood. There are also neoprene swim caps you can get that may do the job. In some cases just a thicker, or a second swim cap will do. The need for a hood, and the thickness of the suit you get kind of also depends on how long you intend to be in the water. You may also find that you want/need neoprene booties and gloves. Unless this is an outdoor pool...just wondering why it's at 50°F. Dan
Children
No Data