wet suits

Former Member
Former Member
looking for suggestions for best wet suit for training in 50 degree swimming pool. probably prefer front zipper or no zipper. is it necessary to get one with a hood too? thank you train every day but never in a wet suit
  • looking for suggestions for best wet suit for training in 50 degree swimming pool. probably prefer front zipper or no zipper. is it necessary to get one with a hood too? thank you train every day but never in a wet suit What is this nonsense? You going wet suit soft on me? Or are you "asking for a friend?"
  • ill be so far ahead of you by the time you get in the 50 meter that I will crush you. you got insider information on when the 50 meter pool is opening up? i don’t need a wetsuit, I’ll swim down there regardless of the temperature. Get on my level, old man!
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    ill be so far ahead of you by the time you get in the 50 meter that I will crush you.
  • OK?? I don't get it ------ joke or no joke? I believe Trip was more serious than I initially thought. Someone give the poor guy some wetsuit recommendations (seriously!).
  • OK?? I don't get it ------ joke or no joke?
  • Regarding the front zipper...I'd say no. Although I've never used a front-zippered suit...every wetsuit I've ever owned has had the zipper in the back...I can imagine the zipper on front would be less comfortable. But, I have seen other open-water swimmers use front zipping wetsuits. If you do go with a front zippered suit...I'd suggest wearing a liner so that chest hair doesn't get zipped in, or otherwise tangles in the the zipper while swimming. That can and will happen as the zipper/suit is flexed...in a turn for example. I don't have back hair...other than a thin patch in the small of my back. If I don't wear a liner I do feel it tangle in the zipper occassionally. Regarding the hood...You might need one. HOWEVER...there are seperate hoods you can get to use with a non-hooded wetsuit. I'd go that route so that the suit can be used in warmer situations without the hood. If you get in the water with the non-hooded suit on and you get an "ice cream headache"...you'll want the hood. There are also neoprene swim caps you can get that may do the job. In some cases just a thicker, or a second swim cap will do. The need for a hood, and the thickness of the suit you get kind of also depends on how long you intend to be in the water. You may also find that you want/need neoprene booties and gloves. Unless this is an outdoor pool...just wondering why it's at 50°F. Dan
  • Unless this is an outdoor pool...just wondering why it's at 50°F. Dan, Trip thinks he can get a leg up on me by training in our LCM pool now (they just filled it Sunday and turned the pumps on yesterday), and thinks I won't touch the water if it is super cold. He is dead wrong. But anyways, the water temp is probably somewhere between 50 and 60 degrees (closer to 50 is my guess) because it has no heater (only a "chiller" for the dog days of summer when our LCM pool can actually get quite warm). He wants to train in it immediately and a wet suit may afford him the ability to do it (because lets face it, it WOULD be kind of crazy to swim in a 50 degree pool in just a jammer or brief!).
  • Former Member
    Former Member over 4 years ago
    thank you dan.
  • I feel like we can close the book on this thread. I already showed a wetsuit is not necessary for swimming in the LRRC 50M pool ;) forums.usms.org/entry.php
  • If think you'll ever dip your toes into Swimrun, then front zipper is the way to go.