Training and Statins? Anything besides CoQ10 that helps?

Former Member
Former Member
I train on the fairly intense side (I think) and am averaging 3,600 6 times a week. Eat fairly healthy...no eggs or cheese, lots of nut mixes for snacks, salads 2 nights a week, sushi 2 nights a week. Impossible burgers now and then. You get the idea. And still my cholesterol is through the roof. I had quit taking it when I began to train hard upon retirement because of the cramping issue, mostly thighs and upper back. So I’m dismayed at having to start again. 4 days in and my back is stiff and borderline “sore.” Warmup is a drag because I’m so cautious about seizing up (in past, I had my back go on both sides simply jumping in to cold pool; soreness and caution kept me out of pool for at least 3 days). 30 minutes or so of googling seems to suggest that CoQ10 is only thing that *might* help (evidence seems mixed). I already take that along with preventives like garlic and psyllium. So, any of you folks have any dietary or supplement hacks that help abate the large muscle issues that come along with statins? Stretching routines that help? Heat? Cold? Both? How about really ramping up hydration? (I already do a good job here, but maybe still more?) Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.
Parents
  • Interesting about your cholesterol. I was a vegetarian for 12+ years and my total cholesterol was always over 200, LDL was high and HDL was low, triglycerides high. I went back to meat in 2003 and in 2012 went fully low carb/high fat. My total cholesterol has been variably 180-210, HDL as high as 62 and triglycerides as low as 53. Counter to (standard American) medical wisdom, but I'm sold. And I can eat bacon whenever I want!
  • Interesting about your cholesterol. I was a vegetarian for 12+ years and my total cholesterol was always over 200, LDL was high and HDL was low, triglycerides high. I went back to meat in 2003 and in 2012 went fully low carb/high fat. My total cholesterol has been variably 180-210, HDL as high as 62 and triglycerides as low as 53. Counter to (standard American) medical wisdom, but I'm sold. And I can eat bacon whenever I want!
Children
No Data