Leaking goggles that mysteriously eventually clear.

A bit of a long post here. Bear with me. It's kind of odd, and I've been reluctant to post about it. I'm just wondering if anyone else experiences this with their goggles. The goggles I use are actually one-piece, the Aqua Sphere Vista model. Some people refer to it as a swim mask. It doesn't cover the nose, but seals completely around both eyes together in a much lower profile than a diver's mask. I find that style more comfortable for the long-distance swimming I do. Often two hours straight. When it leaks, the water can flow to each lens. But, I think what I'm about to explain could also happen with traditional two-piece goggles. Generally, my one-piece works well and keeps a pretty good seal. But, like many of you I'm sure, I have days when I just can't get a good seal and water slowly leaks in. Usually never to a level that interferes with my vision...just an annoyance. But here's the weird part. The leaking happens early in the swim. Usually, if I just leave the water in there, eventually it will go away and then it'll be completely watertight and dry. Where does the water go? Here's the only thing I can come up with: There are canals that run from the tear ducts in your eyes, to your sinus. They're called lacrimal ducts (I think). Sometimes, when I blow my nose too hard, I can feel air come out them in my eye. I've read that doctors say that isn't uncommon, but is a sign that you're blowing too hard. (This duct is also why you get a runny nose when you cry. Tears pass through it from your eye to your sinus/nose.) Anyway, my thought is, that while exhaling through my nose as I swim hard, the air pressure I create in my sinus eventually clears the lacrimal duct and a tiny bit of air pressure comes out the eye and eventually builds up enough pressure in the goggle to push the water out. Much the same way SCUBA divers clear their masks. Does that make sense? Dan
Parents Reply Children
No Data