Lately swimming is a lot more painful - cant figure out why?

I have been swimming for 40 years (I'm now 52). I regularly attend masters swim practice (3 X week). Recently, I have been struggling a lot in practice when I try to push myself at 90% or on harder efforts. I feel incredibly fatigued even in a short sprint like a 100 I.M. I feel very comfortable swimming at 80% effort for a really long time but as soon as I push myself a little more the wheels fall off in a big way, and I don't recover very well. I have been to the doctor to get checked out and had my blood work...everything is great. I'm wondering if this is just age or maybe my diet is affecting me?? I have not made any changes. Has anyone else around my age experienced this? Thanks.
Parents
  • It was gradual enough that I didn't really notice until shortly before the actual heart attack. I thought I was just out of shape. No severe pain. Thursday I actually got out of our masters' workout early (angina, as it turned out), then Friday drove about 6 hours to Milwaukee for my daughter's synchro meet no problem. Woke up feeling out of sorts Saturday - cold and clammy mostly, as I recall. Bad enough that I went to the urgent care place there. They took an EEG, EKG, or whatever, and called the ambulance. Never made it to the synchro meet. That was five years and three stents ago. Fortunately, damage to my heart was minimal, and I had a treadmill stress test earlier this year, which turned out very well. Family history for me is a big driver. Dad had a quadruple bypass, an older sister had a heart attack, and an older brother had issues as well. I learned too, that everyone does not experience the same symptoms. I am on the aspirin, atorvastatin for cholesterol, and a couple others.
  • It was gradual enough that I didn't really notice until shortly before the actual heart attack. I thought I was just out of shape. No severe pain. Thursday I actually got out of our masters' workout early (angina, as it turned out), then Friday drove about 6 hours to Milwaukee for my daughter's synchro meet no problem. Woke up feeling out of sorts Saturday - cold and clammy mostly, as I recall. Bad enough that I went to the urgent care place there. They took an EEG, EKG, or whatever, and called the ambulance. Never made it to the synchro meet. That was five years and three stents ago. Fortunately, damage to my heart was minimal, and I had a treadmill stress test earlier this year, which turned out very well. Family history for me is a big driver. Dad had a quadruple bypass, an older sister had a heart attack, and an older brother had issues as well. I learned too, that everyone does not experience the same symptoms. I am on the aspirin, atorvastatin for cholesterol, and a couple others.
Children
No Data